Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 12valve and I was pulling my injection pump to fix a timing issue and replace a cross threaded fuel inlet and as I was removing the injection pump but some how my lock washer dropped into the gear cover. If I’m unable to retrieve and have to pull the gear cover is there an easy way to do that?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I suppose you could try a magnet on a string. To be honest with you though pulling the timing cover isn't a big deal. Have you had it off before? If not, a KDP tab is a good excuse to open er up. Also if you have a leaky front crank seal you can take care of that as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry, misread your post. To pull the timing cover unhook your battery's, remove the rad overflow tank and hose. Then pull your belt off and unbolt the rad shroud and fan and remove them together. Then take a picture of the crank sensor to see how it goes back together also it has to be set at a certain gap, I think it's about .050". Then unbolt the timing cover and gently pull it towards the radiator. From there you will see the KDP and hopefully the washer. Lots of write ups on that just google "KDP fix'. I would recommend a new timing cover gasket and front crank seal while you're in there. Make sure to clean the Injection pump gear and shaft very well, I use starting fluid and compressed air. Then torque the nut on the injection pump, and torque the cover bolts to 18 ft lbs

·
Registered
59 Posts
Need to pull the harmonic balancer as well before the timing cover and it is helpful to have a barring tool which are available online

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve never pulled it before was hoping to avoid all that work but I guess there’s no way around it. Thanks for the information I got my work cut out for me this weekend.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You'll be fine, I'm new to diesels and it would be a casual afternoon for me to get it done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'll be fine, I'm new to diesels and it would be a casual afternoon for me to get it done.
Should I use any RTV with the gasket? And do I need to buy a new KDP? I almost got it done but I ran out of day light.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I didn't use rtv personally no. It's not the KDP but the tab that holds it in. Is your kdp missing? Mine was poking out a bit but not much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest I wasn’t even able to get the timing cover off yet. I got off late and was only able to pull the fan, fan cover, belt and I was working on everything else but I lost day light.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's a good start. Getting the harmonic balancer off without a barring tool can be interesting. Probably lots of tricks out there. I think I used the old bump the starter method my first time. Kinda sketchy but it works. Then to torque it on requires a bit of screwing around as well.

·
Registered
687 Posts
do I need to buy a new KDP?
If the pin has fallen out, or been removed, then yes, you'll need a new one. If it's been tabbed, or it's still hangin' in there, then no, the old one is fine. If it's fallen out and you got lucky and it didn't break anything on the way down, you might be able to fish the old one out of the pan, but there's not too much room to get a magnet down there and it's probably in the rear (deep) part of the pan anyway...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts