Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been reading old posts for some time and my ultimate goal is an MPG build up for the lowest cost. (4” exhaust, pyro, Injectors, Plate, timing, set valves and air filter) So with that said I thought it was time to put up a post myself to try and clear some things up.

Please, please confirm, deny or add on to anything I say.

Injectors = There are a lot of places to get them and to have them rebuilt but from what I have read and researched the best bang for the Hp and Mpg buck is the Pensacola Diesel Inc. injectors.

Opinions?

I talked to Pensacola today and it was explained to me that they have a stock spray pattern (the angles of the spray pattern are right) but that they only have 4 holes.

Do stock injectors have 5 holes in them?

Also since I have a 97 manual that has a 215hp pump Pensacola told me that my end results would be
Stage 1: 40 to 60hp + 215hp = 255 to 275hp
Stage 2: 70 to 90hp + 215hp = 285 to 305hp

On the MPG side of things:

* 4” turbo back exhaust (I will be getting)
* Setting Valves (been 60K so it is time)
* Air Filter (Have a BHAF Baldwin #PA2820 that is going in)

Things in question:

* Injectors (I will be getting, but stage 1, 2 or from another maker?)
* Fuel Plate (if MPG is all I care about would it help and if so which one #10, 11 or 12?)
* Pyro (do I really need one?)
* Timing after it is all said and done 15 off TDC (Or would something else be better?)

Costs as of now:

exhaust from Jegs $299.99
JEGS Truck 4'' Aluminized Diesel Exhaust Systems - JEGS
Pyro with Thermocouple & harness included from Jegs $141.99
Auto Meter 2654 - Auto Meter Z-Series Gauges - JEGS
Fuel plate from Ebay? $100 or less
Injectors from Pensacola Diesel Inc. $204.00
Pensacola Diesel Inc. - DODGE/CUMMINS :: INJECTORS AND PERFORMANCE PARTS
Air filter from Local auto parts store $50 About

Total est. = $796 + mechanic bills

Because I would like to keep my costs down I don’t want to upgrade my clutch or take my trans out back and shoot it in the head if at all possible.

Edited: to fix stupid math mistake

·
Registered
20 Posts
i would say dont do anything before the pyro, i just put in new injectors last weekend and was able to hit 1200 at any time(until i did the 5in back and afe stage one)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What size injectors did you put in?

I was thinking Stage 1 injectors, the 4" ex, air filter and let the rest go.

With just 50hp+ injectors is a pyro really needed?

And do fuel plates help or hurt MPG or can they do both depending on my right foot?

·
Registered
20 Posts
i put a #10 in and got a lot worse, everyone i talk to says i am driving it harder to get worse MPG off a #10 but i drive slower now with it in so i dont know, i was told they were changing the diesel from winter to summer at the time and that may be why it got worse but it hasnt gotten any better in a month. and yes to the pyro with stage 1, i hit 1200 just with the fuel plate. i got ddp II.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I bet most of the guys on here will agree, a pyro is a must, it is also the best way to moniter your EGTs and MPGs, the hotter you are the more fuel you are putting into it, its that straight forward. When it starts climbing back off because your economy is going out the pipe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
CoreyE - I figured that is what would happen with a fuel plate. i didn't see how a more aggressive fuel curve could help my MPG

NM12VALVE - Good tip, i could keep one eye on the pyro and the other on my tach. with them both taking truns on looking at the road of course.

Am I right about calculating the injectors Hp? And would that mean that injectors like the 370 marines might only give you 300hp even?

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
The fuel plate only affects WOT fuel delivery. If you keep your foot out of it you wont have any change in fuel economy.

most guys and shops claim bigger injectors are worth a few MPG if you keep your foot out of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fuel plate i will be leavening out this build because it only makes a potential loss of MPG.

Using the bigger injectors (if i keep my foot out of it) will help my MPG, But which set of them?

Stage 1 or 2?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I got my 2s from pensacola(I know everyone on here doesnt like them but i have 3 12vs running them and they seem to work great) and my mileage did increase a bit, but its hard because i cant keep my foot out of it!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone that really knows injectors could fill me in on which has the poetical to make better Mpg? If I don't express my self with my left foot.

stage 1 40 - 60 hp
or
stage 2 70 - 90 hp

·
Registered
262 Posts
The stage ones will give you better mileage

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone tryed the injectors on EBAY that claims to give u 2-3 MPGs more? I think that they are from Omaha NE. They sale for about 500 bucks a set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts