Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried injecting vaporized waste motor oil into the air intake, similar to the propane systems? I was thinking you could use exhaust heat to vaporize the oil. I have heard of mixing WMO with the fuel, but filters get plugged and injection pumps and injectors can get messed up. Vaporizing the oil would get around these problems wouldn't it?

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
How could exhaust heat vaporize oil in the intake?

I don't want to throw water on innovation, but there are some significant issues to overcome with this. You would essentially be oiling the intake manifold, valves, the MAP sensor, the IAT sensor, your boost gauge, etc. As for spraying it in, I don't think there is any spray nozzle that will atomize the oil enough to get clean, rapid combustion, so you are likely going to oil down the entire exhaust side of the engine and have very high EGT's.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i know some big trucking companies never drain their oil, they just add some more and change the filter. they just somehow burn the old oil as fuel.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
That's it. The truck sucks out a predetermined amount of old oil and just dumps it in the fuel and burns it. Then it just adds the same amount of fresh oil as it pulled out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm working with a 91 gen 1 truck, so I don't think it has sensors to worry about. It doesn't look like it has a computer running things. I was thinking I could build a vaporizor that uses the heat from the exhaust so I would get a "smoke", vaporized oil, that would get sucked into the intake and burned. I'm just looking to increase mileage. Maybe it would be easier just to filter the used oil and throw it in the tank like others are doing.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I think you would be better off filtering the oil and mixing it in the tank then trying to vaporize it an sucking it in to the intake.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If oil vapour is flammable, then it will predetonate. Propane and water/meth have an extremely high octane rating, and won't combusted at that pressure and air ratio... untill the diesel is injected and detonates. For instance If you put diesel in a water/meth injection system, your truck will go BOOM! :) because it will fire before the piston ever gets near the top

however i don't thing vaporizing it will work every effectively in the first place!!! I'd say your way better off just mixing it like everyone else. I use 50-75% WMO and i only replace the FF every few months

1 - 9 of 9 Posts