Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some advice about a choice for an aftermarket turbo for you 2007 5.9L Ram. I do tow 27000lbs GVW, a bit and my EGT's get way high so I am thinking a turbo will help. I am also planning on putting in 50HP injectors and a clutch any suggestion there would be welcome too. I would like the turbo to still fit my exhaust system I also plan on putting on an exhaust manifold and a head stud kit.

I have an S&B air intake, Arc Flow intake, 5" turbo back exhaust, and Edge juice programmer. Please share you experiences with me to help me make a good decision. Thank You

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I would suggest 3 of them...

1. PS62 from Industrial Injection
2. SPS62 from " "
3. HTT 62/65/13ss

I have a SPS62 and love it....I dont tow that often or that heavy but I do have 90hp injectors and it does a great job of keeping it all cool..I suggest the others because they have a 65mm exhaust wheel which will help spool while towing but the SPS or HTT are great turbos...

The SPS and HTT 62/71/13ss both have 71mm Exhaust wheels which spool a tad bit slower than stock, but will help keep Drive Pressure down and keep EGT's in check...

Others who have more experience than me will chime in soon....Good Luck!!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2007 5.9 what do you see EGT wise at WOT?
I have my Edge set to back down at 1250 and it is a constent problem now even empty and on power setting 2 but i have seen 1350 before I lowered my limit.
it is real bad when towing

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have my Edge set to back down at 1250 and it is a constent problem now even empty and on power setting 2 but i have seen 1350 before I lowered my limit.
While towing I would not recommend seeing over 1250-1300* sustained, but while screwing around short bursts of 1450-1500* is nothing to worry about...

Do a search of EGT temps and there will be page after page of good info that you can decide for yourself what is a good temp to backdown at!!!

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
There are two reasons why.. the 1st is that the 04.5+ trucks run very hot, 1400* is pretty easy in stock form when towing, it takes a very careful eye when towing to keep it below 1250* on a bone stock truck. (On my dads 06 to keep it below 1250* towing 10K up rye grass he was constantly slowing down, now with the smarty Jr he can do it in cruise and not even hit 1250*).. The 2nd reason is that the Edge is a hotter than stock running chip... so there you have your high EGTs..

You may consider trying a Smarty or Smarty Jr before a turbo, i think you would be shocked at the EGT reduction and the power.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
How would a II silver 62 work? It is a 62/74/14. I am planning on doing 90HP injectors as well. Smarty is on the way. EZ will stay on and possible the juice will stay on. I will tow a little but not that much. Mainly want it for play. Will the 74 be too slow on the spool?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I agree with ah64id I had a juice w/att and it ran crazy hot while towing. A turbo is not going to cool you down enough. You should try a smarty or a bully dog downloader with a boost fooler works pretty good also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so what about a turbo for my 07 what are your thoughts for a good one??

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
I think you should try a smarty first....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
a twin

with a twin turbo would my exit for my exhaust be in the same place or would i have to change my exhaust intake??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts