Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my eye on a 2003 Quad Cab 4x4 2500 with a manual transmission. It has 107,000 miles on it. I'm mechanically ignorant so what are some things I need to look for. Also, just curious as to what kind of fuel mileage I might expect. I've read all kinds of numbers from 17 up to 24 and am curious as to what actual owners are getting. Anyway, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am getting 18 in town and 21 on the highway in mine with Smarty 4.2 on SW5

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,567 Posts
i have the 04.5 same style, 6 sp 3/4 ton.
usually get 18 city and 21 or so hwy empty.
i bought mine with 114k miles.
may want to check the rear main seal and the ball joints.
otherwise, i havent had any issues with mine so far.
fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
With my setup in my sig, I'm gettin about 16 average. But it's lifted 2" and rollin on 35's.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have averaged between 17-18 hand calculated per tank, with the overhead readout being very accurate if I reset it at every fill up... from what I read the lift pumps (if not updated) are very failure proned, and will take out your injector pump if it fails...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I would make sure you know the entire background of the truck. How it was used/abused. If it's an auto, pay close attention to how the tranny shifts and behaves.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I would make sure you know the entire background of the truck. How it was used/abused. If it's an auto, pay close attention to how the tranny shifts and behaves.
Oops, didn't read far enough about the tranny. Still pay attention to it and make sure it doesn't feel trashed.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
The 03s are good trucks, one thing I would do early is find out if it still has the garbage filter mounted lift pumps. If it does i would get rid of it and get a better lift pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts