Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at up grading to a dodge in the above years, It will be used but with low miles, what problems , or items should I be aware of????? the truck should be a 1 ton dually quad cab, long box 4 x 4 with auto and loaded with 3;73 gears,,,,,,,,,,what I drive now now is an 2000 F350 1 ton dually crew cab 4x4 , with 4;10 gears, this truck is a 9 on the scale of 10 but time to update, loaded with camper it weighs in about 14,000lbs, and I will be pulling a boat or quad trailer and that puts it over 17,000 lbs,................any info on the years of trucks I have listed ???? I do not want to go to an 08 because of the fuel issues , w:beer

·
HI
3,442 Posts
I am looking at up grading to a dodge in the above years, It will be used but with low miles, what problems , or items should I be aware of????? the truck should be a 1 ton dually quad cab, long box 4 x 4 with auto and loaded with 3;73 gears,,,,,,,,,,what I drive now now is an 2000 F350 1 ton dually crew cab 4x4 , with 4;10 gears, this truck is a 9 on the scale of 10 but time to update, loaded with camper it weighs in about 14,000lbs, and I will be pulling a boat or quad trailer and that puts it over 17,000 lbs,................any info on the years of trucks I have listed ???? I do not want to go to an 08 because of the fuel issues , w:beer
:welcome::welcome::welcome:
other than the tranny there are really no issues that i know of with those years. your tranny should be ok also unless you heavily mod the truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will keep truck close to stock, maybe exhaust and air filter, will I need to up date the suspension? on the Ford I have done sway bars, air bags, shocks, trany pan afe air filter, and small chip just to get it where I wanted to to handle............still only 10 mpg at 60 mph loaded, 13 mpg empty...........can I expect better from the dodge??????thanks:thumbsup

·
Registered
427 Posts
Economy wise, you should do substantially better than mileage quoted for your 7.3. 20MPG is a reasonable number for driving empty. Some guys get more, some less.

No real issues with the truck that I know of. The 48RE is a pretty decent tranny as long as you treat it nice and don't pour too much power to it. Of course, there are many upgrades to make the tranny as strong or stronger than anything else out there incl. the overrated (IMO) Allison.

The 5.9 is tried and true. That's why I bought one before the 6.7 came out. :thumbsup I think the '06/'07 is the year to get!!

·
HI
3,442 Posts
will keep truck close to stock, maybe exhaust and air filter, will I need to up date the suspension? on the Ford I have done sway bars, air bags, shocks, trany pan afe air filter, and small chip just to get it where I wanted to to handle............still only 10 mpg at 60 mph loaded, 13 mpg empty...........can I expect better from the dodge??????thanks:thumbsup
suspension wise u should be fine. you could put air bags on it to help level it out if you want. 20mpg on the 5.9 cummins isnt hard to get if you drive it sensably. dont get the 6.7 if you want good mpg they are known to get around 11-13mpg. if you can go with a early 07 before all the emmision stuff.

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
thanks guys, All I need to do now is find the truck I want and get rid of the Ford
I know of a beautiful '04.5,silver DTT upgraded tranny,Carli suspension dually, leather,SLT Laramie. It is a Quad Cab. Immaculate condition. It does have I believe 70K on it but it has been meticuously maintained. It can be had if still [email protected] [email protected]. I know the owner,retired Navy guy. This thing's plush.

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
My 07 has a catalytic converter but no dpf. If you want an 07 without the emissions stuff, then look for the 5.9L Cummins engine. :thumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts