Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wrapping up my cummins swap and found out my clutch is bad. Money's about run out. Autozone has a clutch for about $275, and a HD version for about $285, but it's out of stock. Both have a lifetime warranty.

I have no intentions to make any modifications further than pump adjustments. I regularly tow about 6000 lbs and won't tow more than 10k lbs. I have race cars to drive hard, I won't be racing the truck. Will the Autozone clutches hold up?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The least of those clutches is rebuilt to the standard of the original, which is more than adequate to do the job that the truck was originally intended to do.

If it were me on a budget I would simply replace the worn out disc and reuse the pressure plate. A cheap fix that will give you oe clutch performance with very little risk of failure.

So much of what we do, or buy, is insurance. The disc wears out but we also replace the pressure plate because it would be a lot of work to take it apart again if it failed later. If you have more time than money you live with that risk.

Unless there's a lot of wear and uneveness of the pressure plate surface it will perform as well as a new one. A rebuilt pressure plate will simply resurface the face of the plate, maybe replace any worn fingers, and reuse the housing and springs.

Steve g

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have an autozone clutch. The pressure plate cover is made from a stamping rather than a casting like the stocker. Looks like a chevy type pressure plate. Seems to work fine, don't tow much but it will break loose my 35" tires without any slipping. Got around 20K miles on it now.

·
Registered
19,145 Posts
I went thru two or three AZ clutch kits before I got smart and bought a Southbend. I'm not pushing that much HP, but I do tow a lot.

·
Registered
501 Posts
hey-Hey!!!,
I went with the stock Luk for the 245 hp HO with a SB flywheel. That is one smooth clutch and I'm quite pleased with it.
cheers,
Douglas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts