Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was expecting to see in the low to mid twenties with this truck, but I can't even get 20mpg. I don't even drive 60mph on the interstate. I drive very slow. I let it warm up approx 1 minute and cool down approx 5 minutes. I drive anywhere from 30mile to 100 mile trips. Not much town driving. The best I've got out of three tanks is 19mpg. I average 18.1mpg. My truck is completely stock minus the exhaust brake/extra tank in the bed. Its empty, unloaded, and light as possible. I definitely do NOT accelerate hard. I drive very slow and very conservative. What could increase my fuel mileage? I'm seriously thinking the auto transmission is killing my mileage.

Could straight piping my truck increase my mileage? Its not like I need back pressure (the muffler and resonator) with a turbo.

Thanks, Trevor

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
if you are trying to use it as a dily driver i would put on a BHAF, a set of gauges fuel, pyro and trans temp, and then get a SMarty tuner

The Smarty on fuel saver mode can et you up to 22-24mpg.

you can also put on a BHAF, and run a 4 inch turbo back exhaust with a 4 inch neck pipe from PacBrake that could help, but i don't think you would see much improvement if your stock.

And i must warn you ditch the stock intank pump, if your Inection pump grows weak like mine did befoe the FASS swap, then you can see 15mpg per tan till its replaced.

Also 2 stoke oil helps alot, i used to get 18 high way LSD, then got like 14 with ULSD and then with 2 stoke oil im back to 16-17. i run about 1oz to the gallon of diesel, and im currently in the process of testing a blend of B2 bio diesel.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
My tran helped my truck ALOT, went from like 17 up to 22 now. A weak vp can also kill your mileage from what ive read. A tuner will net you about ~2 mpg also

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
BHAF, Straight piped, Edge Comp on 5x5, RV275 injectors...

I'm hitting 21-22 MPG without thinking about it... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What BHAF would you guys suggest? I am running an amsoil stock air filter right now.

I think the pump is stock and in the tank.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Get a napa 6637 for 40 50 bucks or the AH19037 for 70 from napa or around 40 50 from vulcan performance. Adding some timing with an EZ would surely help out. I average over 21 with my stock 99. Tires make a big difference too. Keep em aired up, look for signs of a hanging brake caliper or even a bad alignment.

·
Registered
214 Posts
After put on a new fuel filter + ADII + tunnel ram + edge comp 5x5. I went from 18 to 21 AVG. IDK which one is help the MPG thou. oh and less smoked after the tunnel ram install i think

Reactions: TURBOLVR

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
What BHAF would you guys suggest? I am running an amsoil stock air filter right now.

I think the pump is stock and in the tank.
Im running a 6637 filter from NAPA, and a FASS 95 it comes with a 3/8's big line kit, wiring and a bigger fuel water and fuel filter set.

Ditch that intank pump before it costs you 1,500 bucks:hehe:

and i think if your still stock exhaust cut out the muffler as well, it helps with mileage.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Bhaf

Im running a 6637 filter from NAPA, and a FASS 95 it comes with a 3/8's big line kit, wiring and a bigger fuel water and fuel filter set.

Ditch that intank pump before it costs you 1,500 bucks:hehe:

and i think if your still stock exhaust cut out the muffler as well, it helps with mileage.
I'm looking to ditch my aFe washable filter for a BHAF soon. What kind of setup are you guys using (i.e. tubing, clamps, mounting kits, splash guards...)? What kind of maintenance is required on these and how often do you replace the filter? Also, would you recommend doing a self-install or taking it to someone who knows what they're doing (my mechanical skills are extremely limited)?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
I'm looking to ditch my aFe washable filter for a BHAF soon. What kind of setup are you guys using (i.e. tubing, clamps, mounting kits, splash guards...)? What kind of maintenance is required on these and how often do you replace the filter? Also, would you recommend doing a self-install or taking it to someone who knows what they're doing (my mechanical skills are extremely limited)?

Thanks for any help.

The BHAF 9 times out of 10 will slide onto the stock air hose, and all you need is some metal flashing and built a suitable heat shield that can help with heel the heat from the turbo away from the filter.

My filter has about 20,000 miles on it and it still looks fairly clean, but i don't have a filter minder on mine, something i need to do.

Im fairly sure my sister (who is unmechanized) could do it if i explain how to do it, its fairly easy to do. or in a step by step process.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The BHAF 9 times out of 10 will slide onto the stock air hose, and all you need is some metal flashing and built a suitable heat shield that can help with heel the heat from the turbo away from the filter.

My filter has about 20,000 miles on it and it still looks fairly clean, but i don't have a filter minder on mine, something i need to do.

Im fairly sure my sister (who is unmechanized) could do it if i explain how to do it, its fairly easy to do. or in a step by step process.
Would the local Napa or Auto Zone carry appropriate flashing? Any how-to's you're aware of for building the heat shield?

Are you using an outerwear/prefilter? They look nice, so I was planning on getting one either way. Do they sell filter minders specifically for the BHAF's?

The step-by-step process is pretty much what I'm looking for, since I am (like your sister) unmechanized to say the least.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Can I replace my lift pump with a Carter OE replacement pump?
You can but its just a shoddy bandaid. Fuel pressure gauges aren t that expensive. Any pump that has to suck fuel from back to front will struggle to maintain pressure, except mechanical pumps :drool2: Try drinkin your next beer through a straw about 10 feet away and you get the idear. :confused013:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
legally I can't drink beer:banghead:

But I see your point. I'm planning on getting the air dog 100. or 105 whatever it is.

Anyway, does my truck have 2 lift pumps? One in the tank and one on the block? If so which gets replaced?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The reason I don't have a fuel pressure gauge now is because their is no point in installing one gauge, why not just get the egt and boost gauge too. Except gauges are spendy!

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
The reason I don't have a fuel pressure gauge now is because their is no point in installing one gauge, why not just get the egt and boost gauge too. Except gauges are spendy!
Tell me there is no point for installing that gauge when youre stuck on the side of the freeway headed to work like I was last summer, and that was with 8 psi minimum. The 3 gauge pillar is expensive, what 350 - 400 bucks right? So get the single pod for now, mount it on your column, THEN later down the road get the 3 pillar, one pyro,one boost, and one drive pressure. Just my thoughts :confused013:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts