Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there have been thousands of discussions about transfer pumps here so sorry if you guys are sick of the topic but I could use some advice.

Had a few no starts with the truck and feared that it was the transfer pump, So I installed a Gauge. Good thing because it had only 4 p.s.i
This truck has already had the in tank conversion done by the last owner.

Did some research and found that most people feel that even the in tank set up is crap, so I opted to get the FASS titanium system. This was the only unit in town.

Did the install, and the pressure gauge pulsates between 10-15 p.s.i
Driving the truck it got worse, and even drops to zero.

I have quadruple checked everything. Purged the system etc, etc.
I know all the lines are correct, hose clamped and free from pinching.
Pulled the tank several times to insure that the pick up is correctly spaced 1/8 from the bottom.

I think this design is crap to begin with. the pick up has no way to work against slosh in the tank, and the pump can only be mounted above the tank so it has to self prime.
I would really like to find a bosch pump and just replace the factory unit. anyone know of a low pressure 100gph inline pump part number?
any thoughts??

·
Registered
320 Posts
The "draw straw" is going to suck air under I think quarter tank. I modded the existing situation in the tank I think it works better. People say that the draw straw will allow you to push more volume because of the diameter of the straw. But I don't think that will matter unless your really needing to push some major fuel.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Did you use a Drawstraw V pickup tube from Vulcan performance? the one that goes in the intank pump's basket (just remove pump)? I used a drawstraw V and can run the tank down to fumes.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yeah something isnt right here. The fass system is very good unless you got the ddrp then its no better than what you had to begin with. If you put a drawstraw 5 in then you should not have any of these problems. Whoever sold you this stuff should have been more informative.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Interesting Idea about putting the pickup tube in the stock pump basket. When I installed the unit I thought about that......

My last ditch effort was to plumb the stock low pressure pump to the new FASS system. That way there would be 5 p.s.i. of head pressure on the pump, no worries about cavitation if there is positive pressure right?

Still no Dice...

I work at a race car shop where we build SCCA world challenge GT road race cars. We plumb transfer pumps to main pumps without problems so I know this works.

I tried to deal with this situation today and the dealer blew me off. Nice. I will call Fass tomorrow.

Thank you guys for the input.

·
Registered
404 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts