Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped and talked to the FASS guys last weekend and asked them what filter I needed to replace my inline that came with my 95. They couldnt remember but said NAPA had them. Well I just got back from NAPA and the one they sold me they wernt 100% sure it was a wire screen mesh filter. Do you have the # handy?
Thanks!

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one they sold me was a 3270.

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok what the heck is going on?!? I put my filter on and primed the system and she fired right up. She sat all week and now I cant keep it primed. It is fine as long as it is running, but if it sets for more than just a little bit it loses prime and takes about 20 to 25 revolutions to start.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
We talking about the engine loosing prime or our pump? How quickly does fuel pressure build from the HPFP?

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont have my FP guage hooked up yet, waiting on some AN fittings. I dont know what it is. All I know is last weekend I changed the fuel filter, inline fuel filter, and put oversized banjo fittings @ the Fuel filter and IP. I primed the system and it started right up. It sat all week and when I went to start it this weekend it took about 20 revolutions to start. Once it starts its fine. Later cracked the banjo and hit the key and fuel instantly spewed out. But it still took about 20 revolutions to fire up. I am running low on fuel (1/8 tank) cause I am about to drop the tank and put in a draw straw. I guess I will wait to get everything done and put some fuel in it and see if it keeps doing it. Someone mentioned something about running a relay from my pump so it pumps while the engine is cranking over??

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I dont have my FP guage hooked up yet, waiting on some AN fittings. I dont know what it is. All I know is last weekend I changed the fuel filter, inline fuel filter, and put oversized banjo fittings @ the Fuel filter and IP. I primed the system and it started right up. It sat all week and when I went to start it this weekend it took about 20 revolutions to start. Once it starts its fine. Later cracked the banjo and hit the key and fuel instantly spewed out. But it still took about 20 revolutions to fire up. I am running low on fuel (1/8 tank) cause I am about to drop the tank and put in a draw straw. I guess I will wait to get everything done and put some fuel in it and see if it keeps doing it. Someone mentioned something about running a relay from my pump so it pumps while the engine is cranking over??
Well going back to the new fitting that were installed...i would start there. Make sure they are tight, no leaks. Have fresh seals. Sounds like you are sucking air somewhere. Sounds like the HPFP is picking up fuel pretty quick. Might add some fuel and see if you have the same issue.

Getting a gauge will help trouble shoot this as we can see what the pump can do....so that would be one of my next moves

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok here we go. I just put a vulcan draw straw in the tank as well as the big 1/2 inch line between the fuel filter and injection pump. Checked and double ckecked ALL fittings. Tight with no leaks. Still took several revolutions to start right after being primed. Once again once started she runs like a champ. I drove around and got fuel (1/2 tank). Shut it off waited 30 sec. and restarted and fired right up. I have replaced everything between here and there except the inline that I just replaced and my hpfp. Down at the Diesel nationals the guy I talked to told me to be sure and get a wire screen mesh filter and not a paper one because I will lose prime. Are you sure that one that I got is the right one? Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Ok here we go. I just put a vulcan draw straw in the tank as well as the big 1/2 inch line between the fuel filter and injection pump. Checked and double ckecked ALL fittings. Tight with no leaks. Still took several revolutions to start right after being primed. Once again once started she runs like a champ. I drove around and got fuel (1/2 tank). Shut it off waited 30 sec. and restarted and fired right up. I have replaced everything between here and there except the inline that I just replaced and my hpfp. Down at the Diesel nationals the guy I talked to told me to be sure and get a wire screen mesh filter and not a paper one because I will lose prime. Are you sure that one that I got is the right one? Thanks for all your help.

IF you got a 3270 inline....you did....UNLESS it was marked wrong....Im about to head home...but ill write more in the morn...might have a few more suggestions.....

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I just went over EVERYTHING again. Man it is tight! I just dont see where it could be. It starts right up after it has been started, but if you wait 30 min it has lost its prime. Is there any way they could of marked the direction of flow wrong? Would it even flow fuel backwards?

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update. Problem fixed its self. It went as quiet as it came. Thanks for your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts