Cummins Diesel Forum banner

In less than a year, my truck is $20k less

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  avid 
#1 ·
Stickered at $44,200 and got a trade in quote from two Dodge dealers for $24000

:thud:

Granted it's got 27k miles, but it's in great shape. I was going to look into trading up to a 2008 since I'm still having problems. I was hoping to get $30k for it, but that's not going to happen.

On a side note, with the current incentives:

$2000 loyalty cash (Current Ram owner)
$2000 bonus cash (reduced form $4500 if combined with the gas perk)

The $2.99/gallon deal will save me around $4300 over the three years provided it stays around $4.79/gal. It's already $4.95 here.

Plus I get another $5k off sticker for a supplier discount. Still though, WTF.

I asked the sales rep why I should buy another one when it'll be worth $20,000 less the next year :butt:

One of the dealers did say that if I sold it privately, they would broker the sale for free so I could get the tax savings. They're right it down as a trade. I thought that was pretty cool. Although their 2008 I drove had dead batteries, and the CEL was lit, lol.

See less See more
#3 ·
Its the economic market right now. The new trucks are not worth what they are asking. Thats the truth. last year your trade in was worth more but with high diesel rates along with supply and demand. The dealers in my area can't sell a used diesel any brand at all right now.They are lucky if they sell one new truck a month and used to order 70 trucks a month. Its not just Dodge loosing value its every Diesel and every large SUV with poor mileage. We are in the middle of a paradyne shift right now for the automotive market. Its driven by the market value of fuel lol.Used Volkswagen jetta's doubled in value because of their mileage. I have been looking for one. There is little demand for trucks when work is slow and diesel and gas is high.

#4 ·
I'll be surprised if the big truck manufactures don't do something.

Hell, it's got me thinking of trading my truck in for a car and picking up a used truck for cheap. At least then I wouldn't care if I beat the hell out of it, and I'd probably be able to pick up one without all this emissions crap anyway.

I like my truck, but sheesh. I think my CEL has been on for half of my 27k miles. The lemon law papers didn't go through either because it was always a different problem, albiet with the same systems. Now I'm over the 12k miles that it covers, so I'm screwed.

#5 ·
I was going to buy a new cummins but with as much as Im commuting and not getting paid enough I bought a civic instead. 36mpg is what Im averaging :thumbsup I do need a truck for work though, so once I get transfered to a jobsite closer to home I will be buying one. I think, even with this economy, the Cummins is the one people still really want. There is a used car dealer aroiund here that took a bunch of trucks for trade in, some gas some diesel, I had been watching them and about 4 months ago they got a older dodge 1500, a superduty and a duramax. today all of those are still on the lot. About a week ago they got an 04 cummins and it sold within 3 days

#6 ·
It's sad - I couldn't sell mine if I wanted to with fuel over $5.25 a gallon now.

A local buddy has been unsuccessfully trying to sell his well equipped 05 GMC Sierra diesel for over 8 weeks at a good price, only had 2 calls on it so far - he is on good terms with the dealership and was offered the same brokering deal that you were.

#7 ·
One of the dealers did say that if I sold it privately, they would broker the sale for free so I could get the tax savings. They're right it down as a trade. I thought that was pretty cool. Although their 2008 I drove had dead batteries, and the CEL was lit, lol.
They call that a "courtesy trade-in". Most dealers will do it. You can save a few thousand in taxes to do it. I would definitly go that route if you find a truck you want.

#8 ·
I also purchased mine on a "Supplier Discount" and the dealer told me before we even started looking that he recommended selling my truck out right because with the discount and rebates The only thing they could try to make profit with was the trade which would probobly be insulting.

#11 ·
Nope, Im wrong

As fuel prices continue to rise, the Let's Refuel America Program helps providing stability to the cost of fuel with a simple solution - locking in the price of unleaded or diesel fuel at $2.99/gallon for three years
according to the terms and conditions you get 800 gallons. (2400 gallons for the 3 years) 800 x $2.99= $2392 a year. X 3 years is $7176. Thats not too bad.
Looks to me they are giving you less for a trade in and a $7200 fuel perk.
I hear ALL the time about how diesels arnt worth anything because of the high fuel prices. My salesman told me that. My reply was " Well, if you hand me the keys I can keep it and it would not be stealing then, as it has NO value...there not worth anything."
Did they decline in value, yea a little. For the same reason small compact cars went way up. If you have to pay $6000 more for a little car because its better on fuel? I can buy a heck of alot of fuel for $6000.......AND not have to pay intrest on it.:thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.