Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 with the automatic and from 45-50 mph the torque converter will go in and out of lock up. just in and out untill you go slower or faster. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
Plenty of post on lockup hunting. Generally a result of poor electrical connections or radio frequency interference. Extra condenser on alt positive and shielding of electical wiring from alterantor is second area of consideration. There are also $100 sure fixes if you believe in tooth fairys. Each one is potentially different. Hunt down previous posts in old pages of this forum.

·
Registered
341 Posts
What do you feel when you are going in and out of lock up? My truck sometimes doesn't seem like all the power gets to the wheels when I gun it but if i give lots of gas but not floor it, then it is real smooth consistant power.:confused013:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does'nt seem like it's slipping or loosing power, the rpm just jump up and down about 200 to 300 rpm. At about 50mph it stops and feels normal.

As for the first reply I will start looking through the old posts Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
What gear? OD or 3rd? if you stay on the gas does it lock up and act OK? Is it under light load/cruise conditions?

Truck specs in your sig line will halp achieve answers as well...... Gearing and tire size might have an effect on your issue.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
DTT makes a noise filter which is supposed to cure lockup problems. Its not too expensive either.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Same thing happened to me, had it diagnosed as the APPS, shot. Bought mine off Ebay before I found this, Alternate APPS, way cheaper and same thing.

Check and clean all your connections, our trucksvibrate to much and sometimes stuff just works its way loose.

·
Registered
347 Posts
P.S.---Fill out your sig so people know what you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I seem to have fixed the problem , I unhooked the alternator and drove> It raised the in and out of lockup to over 50 mph. Came back hooked up the alternator back up, it has worked fine every since. Must have been a bad connection at the alt.

My truck is a stock 99 2500 2wd it has the BD TorqLoc and pressureloc for the automatic and 4inch exhaust

·
Registered
219 Posts
mines doing the same thing i just bought a new alt. it fixed it for about 4 days then it came right back so im back at the starting line. its not as bad now as it was my terminals are clean sanded down paint at grounds put dielectric grease on alit. harness still no help so im gonna watch here for help.i am thinking of dtt filter but dont know which wires to cut

·
Registered
219 Posts
nevermind i see u fixed it

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If the problem comes back clean your battery terminals. On the neg side clean the other end of the cable (where it grounds to the engine block) and that should fix your problem. Good luck and welcome to the forum......:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.