Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Improved Steering Feel

885 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  krs
I wanted to share a quick, easy, effective and cheap way I greatly improved the steering in my 06. I received today from CJC Off road the EMF Dodge Ram Intermediate Shaft Bushings. Only $19.99 but worth much more in improvement. The slack I felt in my steering wheel is completely gone. It made the steering feel much more like a newer model truck. On the freeway in long gradual turns there was play and sometimes in lane changes also but this product took all of that away. Wanted to pass along that info in case someone either had the same steering feel or was wondering if this actually worked.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Font Circle Rim
See less See more
Reactions: 4
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
I have a set from them in the mail. My 07 bushings are gone with only 120k on the clock. I have their full carli front end up grade and this was recommended as well. Pumped to get them installed!
I have set from them in the mail. My 07 bushings are gone with only 120k on the clock. I have their full carli front end up grade and this was recommended as well. Pumped to get them installed!
For only $19, you will be surprised at the improvement.
Reactions: 1
Man o man what a difference. Like I said before I have a full Carli front end up grade and these emf bushings were the hidden ticket. Steering wheels has zero play now and sterling is rock solid. I would highly suggest these to folks looking for an upgrade.
  • Helpful
I bought me some last year and i highly recommend it also.
I looked at mine and evidently on the 03's it's a different setup, yoke clamp on a flat portion of the shaft. Completely different setup. I did find out I had a bit of slop further down towards the steering box so at least I got a bit of info to work from.
Larry
I looked at mine and evidently on the 03's it's a different setup, yoke clamp on a flat portion of the shaft. Completely different setup. I did find out I had a bit of slop further down towards the steering box so at least I got a bit of info to work from.
Larry
Everybody says to look for this rubber isolation joint inside the cab above the peddles, trust me I looked very hard to find it on my 03 and it’s not under there. BUT look in the engine compartment about a foot above the gearbox and found the rubber isolation joint. My question is, is this a build date thing or is it possible that steering shaft could have been put upside down in a few select vehicle‘s?
That makes sense as to how the shaft is installed. I will take a look down by the gear box when weather permits. I like how they coupled the shaft before it goes up the steering column, looks stout, however I do have some play when turning the wheel back and forth that appears to be on the engine side of the firewall, not much but enough for concern.
Maybe I'll get some use yet from the bushings I got from CJC.
Larry
Well as Welding Man said above it is about a foot up from the steering box on my 03. The good thing is I had plenty of room to get the bushings installed there.
I tapped the top bushing in, ( with the flat side of the hammer of course), just a bit with a short handled ball peen hammer I had just to hold it in place and then put a small c clamp on it to suck it down a bit. I then started the truck and turned the steering wheel until the other side was on top and did the same thing with that one.
I only had blue thread locker but used that and after flushed up with a slightly larger c clamp. Just cause I put a wrap of gorilla tape around the shaft housing and bushings.
I used a 2" c clamp and then a 3" c clamp to send them home. The whole thing took all of 15 minutes and I took it for a drive and the slack is now gone finally!
So thanks to All for pointing out the repair!
Larry
See less See more
For only $19, you will be surprised at the improvement.
If there's wear. Mine didn't have any but I installed it anyway to prevent further wear.
Anyone know if these will work with a Borgeson Intermediate Steering Shaft?
Maybe someone that actually has a Borgeson shaft will chime in but I am nearly positive a Borgson does not even have this joint to start with. So no.
They will not work on the Borgeson Shaft.
Just ordered mine excited to see how these work.
Just ordered mine excited to see how these work.
If you look at the part of the shaft where they are installed and turn the steering wheel back and forth you will see how much movement there is in there and that will all be gone.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts