Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guy I figure this is a good place to start when looking for a answer to a diesel question. So here goes, I have heard of some people from my area (SE AZ) going to Mexico and filling up bulk tanks and bringing it back to the US side at almost half price. Anyone know what the regulations are on this.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'd assume if you where filling up your truck and maybe a transfer tank mounted in the bed would not be a problem? If you started trying to drive across with 6 55 gallon drums in the back of your truck customs probably would have a problem with that.

I've heard that Mexican diesel is super dirty, sounds like you would need 2 in line filters on your truck.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
Roundtrip to Honduras.

I'd assume if you where filling up your truck and maybe a transfer tank mounted in the bed would not be a problem? If you started trying to drive across with 6 55 gallon drums in the back of your truck customs probably would have a problem with that.

I've heard that Mexican diesel is super dirty, sounds like you would need 2 in line filters on your truck.
A guy in my neighborhood with an '03 CTD just returned from a trip to Honduras and back here to San Diego. Absolutely zero problems w/stock filtration and regular service. That being said,additional filtration couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I regularly cross the border with 2 - 15 gal plastic jugs of diesel in the back of my open p/u. Border guards know it`s diesel and have never hassled me. This is a small enough amount to be considered "for personal use". I think Tec is right, if you tried to bring large quantities across you could have problems.
You`re right, it is half price. I filled up last week, at the current exchange rate the price was 2.21 USD per gal.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Saw an article about a small trucking company in AZ that was taking a 500 gallon trailer and filling it. Sometimes customs hassled them, said 119 gallons was maximum allowed. I plan to get one of those tank/truckbox combos,

http://www.rdsaluminum.com/fueltoolboxcombo.html

holds up to 90 gallons. When I visit my kids in Tucson, I drive down (60 miles) to fill up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
For everyone thinking about running South of the Border diesel, just be very careful. The diesel down in Mexico is not ULSD and most of it isn't LSD. For the newer trucks that is a bad thing. I live about 20 miles from the border and see alot of people doing it. I also see alot of people having issues on the newer models after running a couple of tanks thru. :w:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the tip.

Seems to conflicting info. about Mexican diesel.

I guess I'll have to take a sample and have it tested, but that not foolproof either, as the next tanker load could be different.

What to do????

·
Registered
42 Posts
I met with a Cummins tech adviser, the other day and mentioned this to him. He said do not run it in a 6.7, no matter what. The high psi common rail 5.9, will run it but will damage the injectors with out using a 3 micron filter system and water seperator, due the extreme high psi through the injector. The 24v and 12v should handle it with out problems but he would still advise the use of an additional filter system. Just my 2cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts