Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got some clickin comin from my vp-44 when im light on throttle. it quiets down with 2-stroke in fuel but lately ive been hearin it more frequeltny. is this indicative of failure or can noise be normal? dont wanna wait til it fails to replace if it needs replacin.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Might fill out your sig so we know what truck and mods you have.

I've never heard anyone say their VP-44 was clicking. How many miles on your truck? Might be the valve lash needs adjusting.

The 2 stroke in the fuel definitely quiets the engine down...

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
155,000 on truck, got a hold of guy i bought truck from n he claims pump is a year old. noise occurs between 1500 and 2000 rpm never under never over and its only during light throttle. if i put the pedal down i can make it go away. i figured it was pump because it quiets down with lube in fuel and the noise is pedal sensitive. could it be an injector buzzin? dont think it is mechanical cuz it happens intermittently. ??? i am deathly afraid of a cummins rebuild... $$$ hope this helps.

·
SuperDuperMod
2,816 Posts
sounds like injector noise to me.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
injector noise like injector gone bad? the noise is distinct, relatively loud, and it hasnt been prevalent six out of the seven months ive owned the truck. how can i tell if an injector is bad? i dont really need to pinpoint which injector it is cuz in my book if one's bad its a "might as well" get a set that'll gimme more power.

·
Premium Member
10,376 Posts
When mine went out I never heard a noise from it, except the cough, sputter, cough on over to the side of the road 300 miles from home. :thud:

From my experience, I had a bum injector that would cause a miss.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My 01 does the same thing, its a combination of valve lash and normal diesel clatter. I seriously doubt its a VP44 problem.

Ops

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its dam loud from outside truck too. ill adjust lash but i really doubt it has anything to do with that, truck runs quiet until noise pops up. but adjusting lash is free so i guess its a might as well. id really like to get rid of clickin tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts