Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first cummins... I have always been a ford man but with the newer ford issues i decided to make the switch. I bought a 2005 2500 with a 5 inch exhaust afe intake 90 horse injectors ts mp8 box and a smarty with the tnt revo tunes. It also has a stage 4 ats auto tranny... Im not really looking to get a whole lot of extra power out of it but I want to ensure that it will be reliable. If anyone could give me a little advice on what i need to do to it, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
One part at a time
794 Posts
I just purchased my first cummins... I have always been a ford man but with the newer ford issues i decided to make the switch. I bought a 2005 2500 with a 5 inch exhaust afe intake 90 horse injectors ts mp8 box and a smarty with the tnt revo tunes. It also has a stage 4 ats auto tranny... Im not really looking to get a whole lot of extra power out of it but I want to ensure that it will be reliable. If anyone could give me a little advice on what i need to do to it, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I would go with a bigger turbo and head studs for starters. My EGTs would get pretty warm with stock turbo running TNT with just stock injectors.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you think that I should do that before getting a fuel system and intercooler??

·
One part at a time
794 Posts
do you think that I should do that before getting a fuel system and intercooler??
You would be okay doing those first but I would advise you to keep the TNT level turned down and keep a close eye on the EGT gauge if you get on it or tow, having those 90's in there. I ran TNT on SW7 with stock turbo and it would climb right up to and past 1500 at WOT if I didn't let off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok I have kept it on sw5 for that reason but I have a hard time not turning up the mp8 do I need to worry about rail pressure with them stacked on a stock fuel system or is that not a major concern?

·
One part at a time
794 Posts
ok I have kept it on sw5 for that reason but I have a hard time not turning up the mp8 do I need to worry about rail pressure with them stacked on a stock fuel system or is that not a major concern?
I can't tell you a whole lot about that, I've never stacked or run any type of pressure box. I have heard that the pressure boxes are hard on your injectors when turned up.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I have seen more trashed injectors than you could believe because of pressure boxes, if you want "reliable" throw the mp8 in the trash can
:hehe: I found out a lot about too much pressure AFTER buying a banks programmer for just under 1k :thud:

turns out the 4 page ad in Diesel Power Mag was good for something....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So for the best reliability should I leave the mp8 turned off and get a larger turbo for the egt's along with an airdog or fass system or is the stock fuel system ok with what I have?

·
Registered
171 Posts
So for the best reliability should I leave the mp8 turned off and get a larger turbo for the egt's along with an airdog or fass system or is the stock fuel system ok with what I have?
you're on the right track. with the 90's you'll want more air. The stock fuel system sucks, I prefer Airdog but the Fass system is a very good pump as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.