Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering buying a 2019 Ram 3500 Laramie...

Questions:

Should I bother with the 12" display? Is it as responsive as a Tesla screen? Is it a pain to operate while in motion?

Should I bother with adaptive cruise control? Does the system work well in traffic? Will it stop at a red light if a car is in front of you?

Anyone actually have issues with the CP4 on the Cummins or is it a bunch of hype. CP4 thread, tldr.

I had a 2012 4th gen, so I'd like to ask, how much better is the ride quality compared to the 4th gens?

Any dead pedal issues with the 68rfe?

Thanks in advance.:wink2:

·
HI
3,444 Posts

Questions:

Should I bother with the 12" display? Is it as responsive as a Tesla screen? Is it a pain to operate while in motion?

Should I bother with adaptive cruise control? Does the system work well in traffic? Will it stop at a red light if a car is in front of you?

Anyone actually have issues with the CP4 on the Cummins or is it a bunch of hype. CP4 thread, tldr.

I had a 2012 4th gen, so I'd like to ask, how much better is the ride quality compared to the 4th gens?

I personally love the 12' screen but its not necessary. I like the ability to split the screen.

I tried that adaptive cruise only a couple times and it does slow you down but I chickened out before the person in front of me came a stop and I hit the breaks. The truck kept its distance but I just don't trust it. Others have said it will bring you to a complete stop.

There have not been any reports of issues yet with the CP-4.2 or at least not that I have read about.

The ride is much much better than the previous trucks yet its a 3500 and you still know its a 3500.

i have the Aisin and there is no dead pedal or tq management on my truck. It is very responsive and fairly quick ofr a stock truck but I don't think I would say it is as quick as the power stroke.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I really like the 12" display. It's kind of like when you got your first diesel, it's hard to go back to a gas. After having the huge screen I'm not going back. Not sure on the adaptive cruise control. Ride quality was surprisingly good. Everyone I work with drive different diesels and the consensus was mine was the smoothest riding by far.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Questions:

12" screen is great. If the screen was smaller, it would be harder to operate. But if you prefer things that are small, don't get it
ACC: If you prefer the convenience of cruise control and would like to the truck to slow down and speed up, then get it. If you want to be in control, don't get it.
CP4: I haven't posted in the thread yet, but I might just to add to the post count and give it an appearance that there is a problem.
Ride: I don't know what a 2012 4th gen tank rides like. But in comparison to my 2005 F350 DRW, the 2019 3500 DRW is a wussy truck. The 3500 has a soft, plush ride.
Dead pedal: I don't have the 68rfe. But, my F350 has a V10 and has a very responsive gas pedal. In comparison, the 3500 is a dog in the city. It's not bad but definitely different.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The 12-inch display is nice. Never been anywhere near a Tesla but I have no issues with the responsiveness of this unit and its generous dimensions make it relatively simple to operate while underway.

Don't have ACC and even if I did, it'd never get used.

CP4? With one exception (see below), the engine's run good from the get go. That includes about 1200 kms towing. Nearly 4K kms on the clock now.

Drove a 3rd gen 2500 gasser for 10 yrs. This truck rides much better.

Shortly after the ODO clicked over 2K kms, I was having some dead pedal issues but only when the engine temp was between 30 and 50C. If ya feathered the go pedal it was fine. Lean into it a bit and it was like the engine quit. It stopped being an issue at around 2500 kms and hasn't recurred since.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!

I’m looking at lower priced laramies at the moment, and a black truck caught my eye, but it doesn’t have ACC, a 12 inch screen, or even 360 cameras. On the other hand, I found a decently priced truck with ACC, 12” screen and 360 cameras, but it’s white, and as my avatar will show, I’m a bit biased to the sport black look of my 3rd gen.

I'll just have to look at both of those in person in the next week or so when I’m in Texas.

There's the sport black and the well-optioned white. $3,000 price difference for the tech. What y’all think?

·
US ARMY Retired
791 Posts
12" screen I didn't get it. I couldn't see $1995 for a larger screen....the only advantage that I saw was the split screen...maybe I'm wrong....as stated...I don't have one.

The adaptive cruise control is part of the safety package. I like the truck because it has both the adaptive and conventional cruise control. Yes the adaptive cruise will stop the truck. I will tell you that that package also comes with the advanced forward collision...even though FCA says that it wont stop you on its own...I think they say this so there's no liability on them....but I will tell you that it works. I'm in New England and the roads up here are winding, curving, hilly and there's a drive way every 20 feet. The other day I guy in front of me decided to make a left turn at the last minute and there was on coming traffic and he stopped very suddenly. As I was reaching for the brake pedal the truck had already applied the brakes and gave me the warning. I don't think I could have reacted fast enough to avoid the collision....so for me the system already paid for itself. The cruise control wasn't even turned on. This package will be on all of my future vehicles. The first one I ever drove...was my wife's 2018 Outback with eyesight...it works well too.

The 360 cameras...that's a deal breaker for me too....All of my future HD trucks will have the cameras...you can see everything and so much better than a truck without. These are very useful tools...in so many situations....get the Tow tech package.

For me its all about safety.

If I had to decide on these two trucks I wouldn't.....Get them to find the exact truck that you want....color and options...don't settle for a truck that doesn't have what you want...your spending your hard earned cash.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Overall the 19 will be a totally different animal than your 12. Youll be impressed, and impressed daily if you make the jump to the 19. This 19 produces and transfers power much differently and much better than earlier 6.7s. The only time any dead pedal is present that I have found is until the engine is brought up to operating temp. Also the ESC is very sensitive and will depower upon any wheel slip. Shutting the esc off cures that one..

The 12'' screen is something I did not like at first. However the more I use it the more I like it and the features that come along with it. It just took some getting use to and learning where everything you commonly reach and search for is located. It is very user friendly and easy to use and easy to reach for common stuff without taking your eyes off the road. Its fast, responsive and with near zero lag.

Infotainment wise, More so than the 12'' screen, the harmon kardon sound is the better more impressive feature. And really shines with your own music input.. Weather you choose the 8 or 12 screen, find a truck with Laramie equipment 2 package.

The towing technology group is worth every penny if you can find a truck with it equipt with other options you want. My truck does not have it, but I am adding it asap.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, since I’m flying in my friends Cessna 206 today to CRG in Jacksonville for a business meeting, I’ll probably stop at Kissimmee on the way back. They have a truck at Napleton Dodge that has everything I want plus a sunroof. Just need to beat down the price a little bit. Cargurus says they have had the truck for 93 days now, so let’s see how that goes...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also can vouch for the collision braking system. I have it on my 2018 Mustang g/t and it has already saved me a hood, bumper, maybe windshield when a drugged out pedestrian hopped out in front of me. For me it was a must have on my new truck. A.C.C. is the best thing since sliced bread if you use cruise control and it works well.

·
Registered
239 Posts
For me the painted bumper on the black rig is a definite turn off. Not sure why Ram thought painted bumpers was a hot trend

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For me the painted bumper on the black rig is a definite turn off. Not sure why Ram thought painted bumpers was a hot trend
It’s called sport package. They’re not forcing painted bumpers. Some of us have liked that sport package on our trucks since the 2nd gen days.

·
Registered
289 Posts

The 12” screen is great in both split mode and especially in full screen nav mode, you can actually see ahead where your next turn is.

This is great and I use it all the time, it will also hit the brakes when not on cruise if someone stops quickly or pulls out in front of you. The 360 camera is great because it warns you of someone riding in your blind spot (especially when towing) by the lighted triangles built into your mirrors. If you hit your blinker when someone is in your blind spot it will beep at you.

As you can tell those were must haves for me and as another poster said “Wait and get the color and options you want” These truck are too dang expensive to purchase to have any regrets (not getting options desired)if that makes sense.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am looking at Laramie and up trim packages for a possible upgrade. I would say at least 80% of current inventory has painted bumpers. Which in my opinion is a downgrade. Also vast majority are white or black. Done had both, I don't want another dangit. This seems true for all the automakers, you can have any color you want as long as its black, white or silver.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Chrome bumpers is like stained honey oak trim. Looked good once. Love my sport trucks. Sharp looking. Chrome is dated.

If buying new get what you want unless it’s a smoking deal. 12” screen can be added. I like white but the black truck is nice. Unless you have the white one a little makeover into a SAP look.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the 12” screen and HK system both are nice but not worth the price. 8” screen and standard sound are great; huge value when compared to the 12”/HK.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So

Guys in Kissimmee (Napleton Dodge) tried to go 5k above website price (website price included dealer discount, not manufacturer conditional rebates), but I eventually got them down back to it. Was a little miffed because they offered 50% of kbb for trading my 105k mile 2004 in, but whatever, I don’t mind selling myself.

I was going to bring them down just a couple grand more on the price after lunch, but after I came back, the salesman was gone and the sales manager tried to claim they paid 5k under msrp for the truck. Nonsense of course. As I was about to walk out, I said that there are dealers in Texas that hold their online prices. Sales manager said, "That sounds like a better idea for you." What a tool, lol.

Tbh, after trying out the 12”, it is just not all that great for me. It’s a little too awkward, and controls are difficult to access with the multiple menus. If Chrysler were to look at some of Tesla UI for their MCUs, they’d know what is wrong right away. Guess you get spoiled once you’ve been exposed once to something better...

I actually found another truck in Texas that has the exact config I’m looking for, so when I’m in Houston, I’ll take a look at it. Until then, ✌🏼.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I too am an advocate for the Sports Appearance pkg. It's a matter of opinion, if you like it wait for it. Dealers in Texas will usually have a large selection from what I've seen. Another plus for the Sports Appearance (For me) is the black headliner and inserts. I hated how no matter how much I tried to keep my 13's clean, a smudge would somehow find it's way on it. Good luck. Sports appearance or not. chrome or no chrome, these rigs are awesome.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts