Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

I'm embarrassed!

930 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  rebelfirefighter39
Prior to tearing things to pieces, I will try to use some patience. How do the plastic center caps come off the rear axle of my just purchased yesterday, 2003 Dodge 3500 DRW truck? I see notches in the caps, have put a hook in there and tugged pretty hard. The caps are in pretty good shape so I'm really trying to not destroy them. There is no book with the truck. I'll post a couple of pics a little later this evening. I'm trying to get the rear wheels off to get to the tire store before it closes this evening. I figured the "trim rings or simulators" just pop off similar to normal trim rings. Thanks, Jay.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Bangin' through the gears
5,521 Posts
This might help.

Part of the factory jack handle has a lip that hooks in the cut out on the center hubs.Then just give the handle a quick pull and the center caps pop right off. I studied this for a while too when I was ready to rotate tires and finally looked at the procedure in the owners manual. The rest of the plastic simulaters comes off just like a hub cap just pry around the edges until they pop off.

I copied and pasted that from TDR. Give it a shot

And someone else's post on the subject

Take a good pry bar, big screw driver or what ever you might have and work the wheel cover off of the wheel by prying in between the wheel and the cover. And the center cap will come off at the same time you remove the wheel cover. That will help keep the scratches down from trying to remove the center cap by itself. Just remember to catch the center cap when it pops off.

And some helpful words of advise. Make sure you get the pry bar in between the wheel and the cover far enough or you might tear the chrome skin off of the wheel cover. Don't ask me how I know that.

one more

The easiest way I've found to remove the centers is to grab them with both hands and twist them off.

Plagiarism at it's best

· Registered
2,503 Posts
yeah they just pop off, under your passenger seat there is everything you need to pull off the cap and tire, look for the bar with the hook type thing on the end, put 2 feet on the tire and PUULLLLLL its easy , i had a bithc of a time getting the front ones off, ended up putting a screwdriver in and using a hammer to meat the screwdriver in to pop off the front one but back ones usually come off pretty easy with one good solid yank

· Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! There was nothing under the passenger seat except a BIG cable (speaker style) that, when I moved it, SPARKED big time! Gonna have to do something about that tomorrow. However, the "pryittilitletsgo" method worked great! Popped right off (or something to that effect). I posted one pitiful picture of my truck in the new guy area. I'll do better in the next day or so after I get it inspected and cleaned up (and the dang speaker cable disconnected from whatever is feeding it)!

· Premium Member
19,670 Posts
Just get a hook in the slot, and pull. They are on there very tight, so I place a towel on the floor just in case I do not catch it when they fly off (helps prevent scratching them all up when they hit the floor)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.