Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's official, traded the 2016 Super Duty for an 03 -2500 HO. 160K, guy used it to tow his 5th wheel, she's stock as a rock. Why is this in the Performance Parts section, you ask? Because everything I'm doing moving forward will be performance parts of some kind. :)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First thing's first, Changed the oil and filter and swapped the fuel filter. I asked the guy what his fuel filter interval was and his reply "What's a fuel filter". Followed up with the transfer case fluid and diagnosing a leak in the front pinion before doing the gear oil. Trans fluid is a bit dirty but nothing crazy enough for me to pay my local dealership the $449.00 they want to do a fluid exchange and filter swap. I'll probably do a fluid exchange at my local quick lube and leave the filter until the trans goes. At 160K, my trans and injectors are on borrowed time anyway; don't want to spend too much trying to save them when the money would be better saved for their replacement/upgrade.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
In first!! What’s the plans?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Congratulations good luck with your build... First thing I would recoment is get some full leaf packs and some new springs...I have Carli leafs and thuren springs in the front.. These things ride stiff stock..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah.. what he said.. you deff gotta get some springs and billy 51's for this thing.

I heard of this place called "Carli", they makes some lighter spring rates for these trucks..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Congratulations good luck with your build... First thing I would recoment is get some full leaf packs and some new springs...I have Carli leafs and thuren springs in the front.. These things ride stiff stock..

Yeah.. what he said.. you deff gotta get some springs and billy 51's for this thing.

I heard of this place called "Carli", they makes some lighter spring rates for these trucks..

:doh:Uhhh... You guys do realize the OP “IS” Carli Suspension right?

Reactions: commtrd

·
3 footin' through life
12,312 Posts
Powerstroke aint all its cracked up to be aye? Welcome back.

Reactions: Smell the diesel14

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In first!! What’s the plans?
I'll double down on the above post seeing what the plan is....
This one will be my runner for a while. When i bought it; it had been neglected a bit on maintenance but was an overall VERY solid truck. My plan is to keep it that way.

It's getting a 3" Backcountry Kit, Torsion Sway Bar, High Clearance Control Arms, and Full Progressive Leaf Springs. I'll probably throw on a steering Stabilizer, 08.5+ Steering upgrade and pitman arm, and steering box brace while I'm at it.

Lighting, planning Baja Designs custom 30" ARC high-power bar with CJC Mounts between the tow hooks and amber squadrons in the factory fogs; rear will be a pair of Amber S2 flush mounted into the factory bumper.

I want to keep the power adds minor as I'm more concerned with reliability than power. With 160K and neglected maintenance, I'm expecting a set of BBI .5 injectors and a full trans rebuild (likely a triple disk converter, valve body work, billet input and full rebuild).

I have a 4" Turbo back Stainless MBRP system on the way. I run MBRP and S&B intakes on all my vehicles; this one will be no exception. One thing I am going to do differently, I hope to track this build with youtube videos which I've never done before. Use this opportunity to do some installation videos for Carli and showcase the products I am putting on (both Carli and non).

It's in the plans :)

Haha, I'll give them a call!

I don't really stalk a persons life prior to a comment....I like to treat everyone the same

Just when i thought i was worth stocking.... :buttkick:

Reactions: nbk9nbk

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Powerstroke aint all its cracked up to be aye? Welcome back.
I LOVED my Powerstroke but I'm not yet at a place in my life where quiet and comfortable is my gig. The new Fords and Rams are tight as a drum. Mine was quiet and rode amazing. Basically, it bored me to tears because it just worked all the time. I wasn't going back to a 6.0L again as I wanted to tinker, not go broke. The 03-05 was my obvious choice. It checked all the boxes. The 03-05 interior and headlight setup is my favorite of any ram (aside from maybe the 00-02 but I needed a full cab; have a baby due in March) and there's no EGR or CAT which was a big deal to me being in California needing to smog every two years. All I need to do to pass is detune so it's a clean snap-test but visually, there's nothing to inspect.

Reactions: commtrd

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Started last night. Coils, Track Bar, Torsion sway bar and Backcountry front shocks are in!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I LOVED my Powerstroke but I'm not yet at a place in my life where quiet and comfortable is my gig. The new Fords and Rams are tight as a drum. Mine was quiet and rode amazing. Basically, it bored me to tears because it just worked all the time. I wasn't going back to a 6.0L again as I wanted to tinker, not go broke. The 03-05 was my obvious choice. It checked all the boxes. The 03-05 interior and headlight setup is my favorite of any ram (aside from maybe the 00-02 but I needed a full cab; have a baby due in March) and there's no EGR or CAT which was a big deal to me being in California needing to smog every two years. All I need to do to pass is detune so it's a clean snap-test but visually, there's nothing to inspect.
It's so weird that some 03-05 have to smog and some don't. fyi some programmers have to be removed weeks befor smoging to reset as they check the ecu thru obd2 port check engine light must be off as well. Both of or 03s have cats [maybe yours was removed or is a out of state truck]and they are needed for smog, muffler is not required. If your looking into power mods check out Taderturbos since he uses a stock turbo makes them up to a 68s but look stock go with unpainted option.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's so weird that some 03-05 have to smog and some don't. fyi some programmers have to be removed weeks befor smoging to reset as they check the ecu thru obd2 port check engine light must be off as well. Both of or 03s have cats [maybe yours was removed or is a out of state truck]and they are needed for smog, muffler is not required. If your looking into power mods check out Taderturbos since he uses a stock turbo makes them up to a 68s but look stock go with unpainted option.
Mine was a TX truck for the first 100K so it didn't come with a CAT or EGR and they're not required as the truck wasn't manufactured with them. Just smogged it Saturday and all was well.

Thanks for the heads up on the turbos; I'll check them out!

·
Registered
11,648 Posts
Welcome back. Now you've got two ft on either side of the engine for service instead of 2". There's a '03 HO,NV5600 qcsb up the street. I wish I could convince the guy to sell it to me.
It towed a trailer to Honduras and back without batting an eye. 80K.
We got a dog and the regcab isn't going to cut it.

Reactions: Broaner

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dash-Cap and new steering wheel ordered, adding new headlights (OEM) to complete the "Freshening-Up"

Reactions: smelonas

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
This one will be my runner for a while. When i bought it; it had been neglected a bit on maintenance but was an overall VERY solid truck. My plan is to keep it that way.

It's getting a 3" Backcountry Kit, Torsion Sway Bar, High Clearance Control Arms, and Full Progressive Leaf Springs. I'll probably throw on a steering Stabilizer, 08.5+ Steering upgrade and pitman arm, and steering box brace while I'm at it.

Lighting, planning Baja Designs custom 30" ARC high-power bar with CJC Mounts between the tow hooks and amber squadrons in the factory fogs; rear will be a pair of Amber S2 flush mounted into the factory bumper.

I want to keep the power adds minor as I'm more concerned with reliability than power. With 160K and neglected maintenance, I'm expecting a set of BBI .5 injectors and a full trans rebuild (likely a triple disk converter, valve body work, billet input and full rebuild).

I have a 4" Turbo back Stainless MBRP system on the way. I run MBRP and S&B intakes on all my vehicles; this one will be no exception. One thing I am going to do differently, I hope to track this build with youtube videos which I've never done before. Use this opportunity to do some installation videos for Carli and showcase the products I am putting on (both Carli and non).

It's in the plans :)

Haha, I'll give them a call!

Just when i thought i was worth stocking.... :buttkick:
Sound like all good options to me.

I want to do the same thing. I need to get a tripod for my camera so I can start filming the shenanigans I do.

I'm glad there are people like you that can just snap on a truck like this and get to building. I'm just over here trying to get it all planned out for the next 2 years or so. Haha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
3 footin' through life
12,312 Posts
Dash cap? As in just a cover or whole new top piece?

1 - 20 of 273 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.