Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

i'm about out of ideas

1678 Views 18 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Evel486
I still can't my truck to start... i traced over every hose for kink and any notice damage. I took the fuel fitler off and fill it with fuel... then pull the inlet banjo fitting off and primed to make sure fuel came out.. then loosen the bleeder screw on fuel filter then primed... fuel came out... loosened the fitting on the side of the injector pump..primed...fuel came out... loosened the injector lines... primed nothing ever came out... checked the overflow vavle... I don't know what to think now!! :banghead: ... I don't what to just start buying thing to throw money at the problem. vacuum leak, lift pump, injector pump... i really i'm at a loss
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,837 Posts
If you didn't get any fuel out of the injection pump it might be the problem.

· Registered
722 Posts
is your fuel shut off solenoid working properly

· AlGores worst nightmare
1,377 Posts
yeah... I pull the actuator up everytime before i try to start it... when i turn the key over the actuator doesn't go up on it own...
Does it stay up?

· Registered
722 Posts
well u prolly have to change the relays on the firewall for the fuel solenoid...but likeracer said does it stay up??

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright... then how would i fix a stuck rack? does anyone have a expoded view of the injection pump? i want to see how it driven and the assembly... TIA

· Registered
722 Posts
look up user chickencum i say sum info on his post about the p7100

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the only thing it would be now is the injection pump i guess....when i loosen the overflow valve and crank the motor nothing comes out of the injector lines or the OF valve... right?? i hope someone can tell me i'm wrong

· Registered
100 Posts
if the rack is stuck no fuel will pass through the pump to the injectors. mine stuck and i had no money to replace it right away so i removed both fuel lines going in and out and filled the pump with sea foam solvent. let it set for a day or so and then remove the injector lines form the injectors and roll the truck over and check for fluid movement. if it can be saved that easly it will free up some or all plungers and if it does repeat process till all plungers are moving fuel. i dont advise it but it may get you by for a bit.

Reactions: Tuff_1231

· Registered
1,837 Posts
An you need some rather special tools to work on the injection pump. Might be easier and cheaper in the long run to get someone else to test and repair the injection pump if it is bad.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you loosen the OF valve and crank the engine you should have lots of fuel. If not, you have a supply problem. If you do have fuel at the OF and none at the injectors, you have an injection pump problem.

i have pressure all the way up to the injector pump... i crack the OFV and nothing comes out... fuel id not fillng the injector pump or not moving through

· Registered
38 Posts
Your rack is stuck..... If your lucky it will break loose by snapping the throttle lever open and closed then get some diesel condition like amsoil in to clean it up ASAP. If that dont work you have to pull the pump This same thing happen to me

· Registered
143 Posts
Your rack may well be stuck. However, the rack has no affect on fuel flowing through the head. Fuel flows into the head through the rear banjo fitting into a gallery in which the barrels are sitting. It flows out the front banjo fitting back to the tank. The front banjo bolt is a valve (overflow valve) which creates backpressure in the fuel gallery. The rack controls the position of the plungers which move up and down to pump and rotate to control the volume of fuel pumped. The rack is what rotates them. If a plunger sticks or seizes in it's barrel the rack is unable to move. This will NOT affect the movement of fuel through the gallery, only to the injector lines.
Remove the overflow valve completely and verify there is no fuel flow. If none, something has either gotten into the gallery to plug it or a barrel has cracked. A cracked barrel will cause the fuel to be pumped into the oil and into the crankcase. Verify by checking the dipstick. If you do have fuel out the return your rack is stuck. Either case you will probably be removing the pump and taking it to a professional for repair. I don't recommend using an additive to free it up because if it sticks again while you are driving you may lose all throttle control.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.