Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i wired a pushbutton to my heater grid solenoid because we're due for some pretty solid single digit temps for a bit. works great except.......for when my key is turned on!!?! that's right, key off, the push button to the solenoid works, clicks. but, when i turn my ignition to the on position, the push button solenoid setup does not work. the reason i'm asking is because even though my truck starts immediatly now, even as low as 12F it starts on the first revolution, i'd like to hit the grid heaters a couple times while the engine is running to help it fire on all cylinders as fast as possible, instead of letting it sit and idle for a couple minutes before it is firing on all 6. any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
20,459 Posts
Where did you pick up your hot wire from? Try running it direct from the battery.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:banghead:definitely ran it straight from the battery. ten gage straight from the positive terminal to my 60 amp pushbutton, and then more 10 gage stranded from the pushbutton to a little terminal on the solenoid. kept the circuit as simple as i could. does the computer control the ground from the solenoid? maybe i've got some thing backward?

when my key is off, my lights dim when i hit the pushbutton, it is working as intended. it just that when i turn the ignition to the on position there is nothing.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
20,459 Posts
Unhook the ground and run a ground from the battery.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:doh:

leaving for work soon, will try the most obvious thing in the world tomorrow morning. well, at least i titled the post correctly then. :S:

·
Premium Member
20,459 Posts
zacman I went and tested mine and you are right. It is grounded from the ECM I unhooked the blue wire and ran a ground from my battery and turned key to run and used my remote start switch and energised the other terminal and it kicks on. So just ground the terminal with the blue wires to battery or a good body ground.

Reactions: zacman

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zacman I went and tested mine and you are right. It is grounded from the ECM I unhooked the blue wire and ran a ground from my battery and turned key to run and used my remote start switch and energised the other terminal and it kicks on. So just ground the terminal with the blue wires to battery or a good body ground.
best news i've had all day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts