Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cummins Crazy
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Can you help me here with this?
This is our chance to eliminate the $$$$ drain on us------

Split speed limits in Illinois going, too? It's been a long battle, but we are ALMOST there. So, grab your cell phones, Illinois truckers. It's imperative to take time NOW to contact your state lawmakers and PUSH HOME uniform speed limits throughout the state. It's also a good idea to make sure Gov. Pat Quinn hears you loud and clear.

Illinois lawmakers are scheduled to return to Springfield after a two-week break Tuesday, April 21. Once the lights are turned back on at the statehouse, speed limit discussion could again quickly heat up like it did right before the break.

There are two bills to keep an eye on. House and Senate lawmakers approved similar versions of the legislation to change the rule that requires large vehicles to travel 10 mph below the 65 mph speed limit for other vehicles.

The Senate-approved version, SB1467, would allow vehicles weighing more than 8,000 pounds to travel 65 mph on rural interstates. The House-approved version, HB3956, would do the same thing, but it would exempt the five Chicago "collar" counties.

Both bills have advanced to the opposite side of the statehouse for further consideration.

The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association is encouraging truckers to contact their lawmakers and Gov. Quinn to communicate the importance of eliminating speed differentials. Illinois lawmakers and the governor need not look any further than Ohio where a similar rule change has been approved and is scheduled to take effect in July.

Illinois lawmakers and Gov. Quinn need to know that by having vehicles travel at the same speed, the need for passing, lane changes, tailgating, and other maneuvers that create opportunities for drivers to make mistakes is minimized. This isn't physics or rocket science. It's simple common sense that highway engineers have known and followed for decades.

Contact info for House members is available here. They soon could be voting on SB1467.

Contact info for Senate members is available here. They soon could be voting on HB3956.

You are also encouraged to contact Gov. Pat Quinn and ask for his support of uniform speed limit legislation. To reach the governor's Springfield office, dial 217-782-0244. To reach the governor's Chicago office, dial 312-814-2121. To send e-mail, click here.

WAYNES WORLD

·
IL Chapter VP
3,500 Posts

·
ICC Advertising Director
930 Posts
This is still sitting on the Governor's desk along with the window tint bill... :doh:

I think I'll throw a party if he signs them into law. :party018:

·
IL Chapter VP
3,500 Posts
How dang long does it take to scribble your name down. I guess he needs to raise taxes to buy a pen and then raise them some more to buy ink. If he does not sign it I say we convoy his butt and make him do 55 down the interstate for about 100 miles and see if he likes it.
Andy

·
ICC Advertising Director
930 Posts
I'm game :headbang:

I've got enough speeding tickets without feeling like I'm getting run over by everyone and still running 10 over. :doh:

·
ICC Advertising Director
930 Posts
The govenor signed the bill friday, its official.

·
IL Chapter VP
3,500 Posts
How many of us will probably get tickets on 12/31/09 and it will be just the cops being jacka$$es. Oh Well at least this is a victory for some of us.
Andy

·
Cummins Crazy
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The govenor signed the bill friday, its official.
OUTSTANDING-------:party018:

Thanks for the update.:thumbsup:

I can't wait for that day to come. Its long overdue.

Now if we can finally get that big mouth ex governor to jail where he belongs. He held up that bill way to many times.

WAYNES WORLD

·
Registered
585 Posts
ya i heard something about it on the radio the other day still waiting onthe outcome.....

·
IL Chapter VP
3,500 Posts
Out come. It passed and the gov signed it. It is law and takes effect on the 1st of January.

·
IL Chapter VP
3,500 Posts
Lets get the countdown started. :party018::party018:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sounds like I won't have to detour around Illinois when towing a trailer after the end of the year. It's about time! :party018:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts