Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What manifolds are the guys running these as a single using? I just got a hold of one for my 6.7 and I have a bd 3 piece 2nd gen manifold, will that work? Do I need to turn it upside down or is that just in the twin application? If I can use this, what will I need for a downpipe? Thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Cannot answer your question, but I am interested. Free bump.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Subscribing-----bump!

·
Northern CA Chapter President
3,325 Posts
i dont dont know what the 6.7 uses for a flange, but if it's a t-3 like the bd is, it will bolt right up.

you can use the bd manifold. you will have to address the feed and drain tube probably and uses "2nd gen length downpipe" you could probably extend the one you have now though.

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
Im running my stock manifold and downpipe. Obviously the 6.7 downpipe is different...2nd gen would move the turbo forward some. I havent looked under the hood of a 6.7 recently, so cant remember the positioning of the turbo on it. Im not sure if youd need an HX40 downpipe or not. If you do I got a new one I thought I needed but didnt

Using it upside down would mount the turbo up high. Its upside down on twin applications for clearance for the bottom turbo.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 6.7 head is the exact same as a 5.9 and the block is nearly identical if not exact, not positive on the block. The turbo is mounted the same as your stock one but the mounting flange is an oddball new size. Do any of you guys use a 3 piece 2nd gen manifold on a single charger? Since it collects in the center and is a little higher since its not mounted on the bottom wouldn't I need a different downpipe?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Basically, for the sake of the question, think of it as a 5.9. I think the only difference really is bore and stroke to be honest.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm not really familiar with the 6.7's but isn't the computer going to flip out when it can't find the VGT?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
People have been doing it, just have to fool it somehow. Or just live with the codes on dash.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
well im not for sure but did you get that turbo off of RAWdiesel, if so isnt it a 3rd gen setup?
The second gen manifold and 3rd gen turbo will not bolt up if i am correct

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
I do believe a 3rd gen turbo will bolt directly onto the 2nd gen manifold. If you buy, say, a Silverbullet, the only difference between the 2nd gen and 3rd gen is the 3rd gen compressor outlet is curved forward, 2nd gen just comes straight off. But the mount is the same...

If the 6.7 turbo is mounted the same position as a CR 5.9, then you would need a new downpipe for the 2nd gen mounting position...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well im not for sure but did you get that turbo off of RAWdiesel, if so isnt it a 3rd gen setup?
The second gen manifold and 3rd gen turbo will not bolt up if i am correct
Yes I bought it, yes its a 3rd gen turbo.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do believe a 3rd gen turbo will bolt directly onto the 2nd gen manifold. If you buy, say, a Silverbullet, the only difference between the 2nd gen and 3rd gen is the 3rd gen compressor outlet is curved forward, 2nd gen just comes straight off. But the mount is the same...

If the 6.7 turbo is mounted the same position as a CR 5.9, then you would need a new downpipe for the 2nd gen mounting position...
Thats what I'm looking for. So what downpipe do I need?

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
Any 3rd gen downpipe will work. Source Automotive has a 5", probably have a 4" also. I think MBRP has downpipes also...an HX40 downpipe might also work. Industrials website says you need an HX40 dp to put a Silverbullet in an 04.5+ automatic truck, so I bought one but didnt need it.

But yea, any 04.5-07 downpipe should work

On edit: I think the above may be wrong. Im guessing you dont have the cast iron elbow off the back of a 3rd gen turbo?? If not, you cant use a 3rd gen downpipe. The stock downpipe comes up at nearly a 45 degree angle, then attaches to the cast elbow, which also has a roughly 45 degree angle, to make up the 90 degree bend needed to connect to the exhaust housing. That being the case, the HX 40 SHOULD work. Like I said, I didnt use the one I got, but IIRC it does fit the Silverbullet housing. Sorry for the misinformation...

I dont know if the 6.7 turbo has a cast elbow or not. If it does it may work (speculating here)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts