Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 24v allstock, 4x4, Short bed, Laramie package, 17x’xxx miles, rebuilt trans.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum so please give me a little leeway here. Not sure if I’m in the right place, but here goes nothing. I have a 98 24v that runs great. After sitting all night it fires right up. But when I drive somewhere (and the truck gets warmed up) after I shut it off it will not start (crank but no start)... it sounds like it wants to fire though. After sitting about 15 minutes, then it will start right back up without hesitation.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
444 Posts
What is your lift pump pressure?

If it's too high, that can lead to hot hard starts.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,587 Posts
Welcome. Above is correct. What is fuel pressrue. Yopu can check it at the 1/8 pipe plugs on top of the fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Welcome to the forums, there's lots of good information here.
First, always listen to BigFish.
And all of the above.
I'll add... do you have codes when scanned with a good scanner like a Snap-On?
Have you had any issues with your tach not reading correctly?
Does your Wait to Start light come on immediately every time you turn the key?
Also, it helps if you fill out your signature and let us know which truck you have.
Transmission? 4x4? Long Bed? That sort of thing.

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 24v allstock, 4x4, Short bed, Laramie package, 17x’xxx miles, rebuilt trans.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forums, there's lots of good information here.
First, always listen to BigFish.
And all of the above.
I'll add... do you have codes when scanned with a good scanner like a Snap-On?
Have you had any issues with your tach not reading correctly?
Does your Wait to Start light come on immediately every time you turn the key?
Also, it helps if you fill out your signature and let us know which truck you have.
Transmission? 4x4? Long Bed? That sort of thing.
Yes, I do have some codes being thrown. I do have an issue with the tach (it will periodically drop, engine light comes on, about 100 miles later engine light will turn off and tach comes back to life. Wait to start illuminates every time, does not stay on when hot, like it should, 4x4, short bed. Just purchased the truck not to long ago so don’t know much about it. As for the code: I do not have a reader: I got it read at autozone and they had no idea what the code meant.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Welcome.

Agreed with above. Check what has been suggested. Do you know the key trick to display the codes in the odometer window? What you're describing is akin to vapor lock in a gas engine. Check the fuel lines from the tank to the block for any loose fittings, and make sure the fuel filter lid is tight.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
What was the code... P0336?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What was the code... P0336?
Looking back at my camera roll, yes that’s the exact code. It was some code for unknown trouble when I looked it up

·
Registered
874 Posts
That is Crankshaft position sensor signal fault.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is Crankshaft position sensor signal fault.
Anyone know if that would cause a starting issue?
And to answer your previous question, I tried the key odometer code thing and didn’t get anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It also read P1693, P0234, P0336

·
Registered
874 Posts
P0234: Turbo Boost Limit Exceeded
P1693: Companion Code. Just means a code has been detected in the ECM / PCM

Yes, a faulty crankshaft position sensor would cause the engine not to start. The block gets warm and causes the sensor not to read correctly for one reason or another. That is easy to replace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
P0234: Turbo Boost Limit Exceeded
P1693: Companion Code. Just means a code has been detected in the ECM / PCM

Yes, a faulty crankshaft position sensor would cause the engine not to start. The block gets warm and causes the sensor not to read correctly for one reason or another. That is easy to replace.
I’ll try to pick one up and replace this week. Thank you and everyone else for any contributions. I’ll update once sensor is replaced.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Great! Hope that solves your problem.

·
Registered
20,587 Posts
336 isusually a good accurate code, especially if you see tach issues. Repalce the crank shaft position sensor. code 336. Start there. It is beside starter in block. Remove starter. usually an easy fix. Soak with wd40 the day before to help it come out of its hole. Check wires and replace sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, I’m new to the Cummings family and not off to a good start. I bought a 2002 F750 dump truck with the Cummings 5.9. It has the manual transmission. Truck only has 114,000 miles. The problem I seem to be having is the accelerator will not work, can mash the pedal 100x and it does nothing. The previous owner replaces the gas pedal senor inside the truck and still didn’t fix the problem. The truck runs perfect after it starts. Sometimes it start on first turn over, and other times it has to turn over for several seconds, when this happens the tach jumps all over the place. Any help will be greatly appreciated. The

1 - 16 of 16 Posts