Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:doh:

so I have a 1996 dodge ram 3500 12 valve... my ignition was somewhat working but now when I turn the key my "wait to start" light doesn't come on anymore and when I turn the key to the start position it doesn't come back from the start position like normal, you have to manually turn the key back 1 click or else the starter will stay on and when you do turn it back a click the whole motor and starter will shut off together, so the only way to drive it is to leave it in start position and drive with the starter cranking. a week or so ago I could start it fine, but I had to click the key back 1 click and the starter would shut off and the motor would still run so it was drivable but now its all messed up like I just explained can someone please help on this one!!!????

·
Registered
24 Posts
sounds like a simple ign, switch failure(the switch is pooched lol) get it changed before you damage the starter or ring gear

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
yep same thing happened to mine. switch not just the insert.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
you can buy the key insert from napa that's not it. you have to get the whole switch there is a 1/2 circle with notches that is made out of pot metal that breaks. that's what happened to mine anyway. you will need a tamper proof torx to remove the switch.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Tamper proof torx is a torx that has a hole in the center of the bit to accomodate the "pin" that is in the screw head. Key insert is the cylinder with key.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
when you go to buy your torx you will need to get a long skinny one the bolts in the bezel around the key are way up in there inside a small hole.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
it is pretty easy just look at the link that Illflem put up it explanes it better than I can.

Reactions: KyCoalCummins

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
how hard is it to get the lock cylinder out???... overall is this whole project gonna suck???
Easy. Just have a long torx for the steering housing, tamper torx for the switch. The key cylinder pops out with a push of a clip.

Unplug the switch, reinstall new switch and ZOOM...

I actually did mine in the autozone parking lot..

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
Fathers mopar minivan lost its ignition switch. I (naturally) was told it needed to be fixed. At the time I had no safety torx. It took me a few minutes (yes minutes) to figure out WHY my torx bits would not fit. Once I realized there was a stupid pin inside the bolt I did not want to drive an hour to and from town to buy one (I now have a set of safety torx bits) so I made my regular torx bits work. I took a dremel with a flat ended thin diamond bit and ground the pins off. One out of 3 bolts got slightly hit by the bit so it was not tight. However, everything came out fine. It was also a lot faster than driving to town would have been.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
thanks for letting us know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok so I installed the new lock cylinder, and ignition switch. and now the truck wont even crank or turn over WTF!.... the dash lights come on but now this!!! what is going on???

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
Either the wires going to the starter are broken, need to be cleaned up, you have a burned fuse, or the new switch is bad.

Maybe the starter solenoid needs new contacts. Check for voltage going to the starter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.