Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have been researching a ton of "next mods", but let me give you a run down of the truck as it sits today. (sigs can change over time so it might be a repeat of the sig)

The truck: 07 5.9 QCSB 4X4 with a G56 and roughly 92K miles

Suspension and Steering: Nothing between the frame and axles are stock, a custom 6.5" lift (pieced together things from many different venders, started as a standard BDS shortarm kit, but after the springs started to sag I started replacing things)
  • Now there are 5" BDS lift spring (they call it a 6" but it really lifts only 5" with the weight of the Cummins)
  • Front 1.5" lift spacer
  • Looped style upper shock mount (Eye mount like the rear shock instead of shaft mount)
  • Longer swaybar end links (lengthened stockers)
  • 08.5+ frontend from Source Automotive with the added zerk fittings
  • Bilstien steering damper for the 08.5+ steering
  • Borgeson Steering box (and shaft)
  • Steering box brace for the borgeson box
  • Adjustable Trackbar
  • Free spin hubs
  • All newer (within the past year) U-joints and ball joints in the frontend
  • Firestone helper bags (with pump with interior controls) and 4" lift blocks for the bags
  • Mag Hytek covers
  • EBC rotors and greenstuff pads
  • 37" Toyo AT's on 18" rims

Performance and supporting mods:
  • South Bend 3250 dual disk
  • Delvac Trans fluid
  • Fuleab Velocity 200 (just installed less than 100 miles ago replacing an ADII that didn't want to run any longer and they lost my warranty card)
  • II Bag of Parts CP3 bolt-ons
  • Exergy 40% Injectors (they say flow the same as other venders 100 horse injectors that they tested)
  • Amsoil dual filter bypass and all Amsoil fluids minus the transmission
  • CFM+ intake horn
  • Labonte Water/Meth injections system (not currently working and not replacable since Labonte went out of business)
  • Hamilton HD valve springs (my feeling is it is a must for a manual trans truck, can get away with safer/higher RPM's)
  • Smarty S-06 POD (using the standard Revo tunes, normally set on 7)
  • AFE stage 2 CAI
  • Silencer ring removed from the stock turbo (OK, that's neither a supporting or performance mod, but you can hear the turbo now...)
  • MBRP 4" cat back and I also got the MBRP cat delete pipe (so almost a turbo back, but has the stock downpipe)

Misc:
  • B&W turnover ball GN hitch (yes, I still tow a GN trailer with a lifted truck)
  • OUO drop hitch (I also tow standard trailers from time to time as well, but I only put the drop hitch on when I do tow, and only put the mirrors up then too)
  • Cowl hood and a few other exterior enhancements like LED lights, smoked lenses, tinted witdows, and etc.

OK, now you will notice there are no guages and no real EGT control as I used the water/meth for both of those before it stopped working. I have also been getting a P0148 code (both before with the ADII and with the new Fuelab LP) ONLY when going WOT in 6th gear from about 2K RPM's for more than say 5 seconds, no other symptoms so I think I am just not able to keep the rail pressure up.

My thoughts are my next mods should go something like this, and since none are cheep and none are really under a grand I can only do 1 at a time with a few months in between to save up.

1. Guages (to confirm rail pressure dropping, and everyday monitoring of the truck)
  2. Head studs (??? no research on these yet, so not sure what I would get ???)
  3. Stocker over 475 (with 1.10 AR housing, for better spool since I still tow) compound setup
  4. Dual CP3 setup
  5. EFI Live

I was planning on EFI Live as my next mod, but that was before the water/meth, and ADII died. So my most recent mod was the Fuelab, just to get the truck back as it's my daily driver, and I have been keeping out of the throttle except for a few test runs after installing the new LP becasue I don't have guages or EGT control anymore. Does the order of mods above seem right?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I do agree with the order, basically because there is no point in getting EFI tunes if you are going to be doing big changes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is exactly what I would do, and exactly the order I would do it in. I wouldn't worry about the water/meth until after the compounds are on and you're tuned. If you still find yourself making some high EGT's, then throw a new kit on there. I don't think you're going to have enough fuel to have to worry about it though. That amount of fuel and turbo sizing should be well matched.

Do you have head studs?

Reactions: 1SlowFormula

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
That's true assuming the new tunes will come at no charge. EFI Live is not available for me (even though they said it would be 2 years ago) so I don't know if new tunes are free or not.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, good catch and why I was trying to be thorough with my list. No I don't have head studs, so lets add that to the "next mods" list, I assume before the turbo install, right?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Phil,

You may recall we have discussed most of these mods a little lately, I am just trying to figure out the best order, since I like to "tinker" plus a software guy by trade I was going to get the V2. I was going to get a custom tune from you with the CSP5 format, then maybe tweek them down the road as time or the urge hits. But as stated above if the tunes are an email away I might have you guys update the tunes with the addition of mods too, is there a timeline on your custom tunes for a "re-tune" or are they all additional costs?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ahh, good catch and why I was trying to be thorough with my list. No I don't have head studs, so lets add that to the "next mods" list, I assume before the turbo install, right?
head studs can go in either spot #1 or #2. As long as its before you start generating massive cylinder pressures, you're good to go.

As far as the EFI live goes, get prices on re-tunes. If they're marginal, you may want to do efi sooner rather than later. It's all preference. You could easily do it before of after the compounds, and I bet you'd be happy with your decision either way.

·
Registered
14,542 Posts
Phil,

You may recall we have discussed most of these mods a little lately, I am just trying to figure out the best order, since I like to "tinker" plus a software guy by trade I was going to get the V2. I was going to get a custom tune from you with the CSP5 format, then maybe tweek them down the road as time or the urge hits. But as stated above if the tunes are an email away I might have you guys update the tunes with the addition of mods too, is there a timeline on your custom tunes for a "re-tune" or are they all additional costs?
Generally a year after purchase we wil retune for free within reason.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, "Next Mod" #1 (Guages) is going to be odered within the next 2 weeks I am trying to find the best pricing now...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts