Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i have been hearing a poping noise coming from intake or turbo area.

its only when EB is on
going between 35-55mph...
when slowing down, then getting back on the throtle (easy not hard on the gas)

its allmost like the plastic cover on the top is getting sucction then when you get back on it it pops ,
if that makes sence

just wondering if it maybe the intake or something with the turbo? hope its what i think it is. i may try taking off the plastic cover and see if i still hear it.

but let me know if you guys have heard this befor or think it maybe something with the turbo.

thanks for the help
Mike

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I have heard the same thing, but at slower speeds.. I still have no idea what it is.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think it's something with the EB. Mine does it as well but only if the EB is on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine does the same thing, specifically with the EB on and just at the point where it turns off due to slowing speeds...

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I am getting this with my True-flo XDI.

I believe it is related to the exhaust brake not the intakes.

But the fact that these intakes get rid of a lot of the sound baffling in the stock system, you are just hearing things you never did before.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
sound like turbo bark, do asearch for ideas of symptoms

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I am getting this with my True-flo XDI.

I believe it is related to the exhaust brake not the intakes.

But the fact that these intakes get rid of a lot of the sound baffling in the stock system, you are just hearing things you never did before.
I dont think its the EB.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i just installed mine last week, have about 400 miles on it so far and i havent noticed this as of yet. anyhow what do yall think of your S&B? man i love mine so far, seems like it helped mileage maybe 1 mpg, love the sound and it also seems like there is a lot less turbo lag now due to the motor actually getting air. anyow i am about to order expandit 5" tbe and i hope that helps more, then on to egr and cooler deletes, maybe by end of summer i will buy a programmer. good luck with yalls problems.
r/ Coty
p.s. i got mine engraved SIZE MATTERS 6.7 Liter CTD, what a yall think?

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
i would say that it is the geometry in your turbo..it will do a test where it will pop in and out fast to calculate for the other side of the system. especially if you have the egr off your truck.the sudden stop and then flow of air gives the sensor a spike and therefore gives the computer a idea of what is needed and what is not....it is not the s&b intake.

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
it is defiantly not turbo bark. your talking about making the turbo be out of its efficiency range and causing the turbo to sudden stop and spin backward at low speeds...?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the input everyone.
makes me feel better knowing you guys hear something like i do.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it is defiantly not turbo bark. your talking about making the turbo be out of its efficiency range and causing the turbo to sudden stop and spin backward at low speeds...?
yeah that makes sence

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
yes it is just like i said in one of my previous posts. the eb is a function of the geometry of the turbo . there is no flap in the turbo as in other applications the turbo uses its geometry to shut off the exhaust side of the turbo and bingo....eb

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
more than likely the sound you are hearing is due to your turbo being dirty...it will stick and make a noise also. might just need a turbo cleaning:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I agree with Joe.... go drive the truck hard and see if you can blow the build up of soot out of the turbo.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok guys thanks for the ideas
hopefully ill be installin Dpf an egr/cooler deletes soon and wont have to worry about it anymore

1 - 18 of 18 Posts