Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Air Force Vet
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if people would still buy a Dodge/Cummins if they cost more than a Duramax or Ford Powerstroke. Many times in threads you'll read where people will post that for equally equipped trucks, that a Cummins is priced less than the GM and Ford.

My question is, would you still buy the Dodge/Cummins if it cost more than GM or Ford?

To answer my own question, I would because:

1 Exterior appearance looks the best
2. Interior layout, storage, and fit and finish are the best
3. The Cummins engine speaks for itself. It's the best diesel engine, PERIOD!
4. The 68RFE is a great transmission for a stock truck and developed specifically for the 6.7L Cummins engine
5. 5-year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty
6. Simpler engine design doesn't require cab off repairs.
7. Reliability
8. The truck is a towing MF
9. Cheaper to get serviced at dealer than a Ford. I don't know about GM

This is just a short list and there are many more reasons why the Dodge/Cummins is the best truck. I personally would pay more to have a Dodge/Cummins. I basically did pay more because I had to trade in my POS Ford 6.4 for a loss when I got my Cummins. However, I've had the Cummins for over a year, I tow with it, and not one issue. It's cheaper to get serviced, more comfortable, and just a great truck with a great powertrain.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You will get most people saying ....yes. However if you look at a numer of post price is the big factor, so their honest answer should be no. My answer is NO as my sig shows.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Definetly would buy a Dodge. IMO, it is the best of all HD trucks offered at the moment. However, I am not brand loyal. If I felt the others made a better product I would buy it. I've had Chevys and Fords in the past, but I don't think anything can compete with Dodge at this time. Will there ever be any competition for the Mega Cab???

·
Go Packers
9,176 Posts
I feel your pain GSM 24, I am patiently waiting for our new '12 3500 SLT CC LB 4x2 SRW Mineral Gray with 4:10's & extras to arrive. Should be at the dealer about mid August. I too took a beating on trading in an '06 6.0 that I ordered new. I will be glad when this ford is deleted right out of my garage. I am starting to count days, the dealer said a Aug. 6 ship date. A big thank you to all who post or give informative information on this site. Because of some of the smarter than me posters, I feel I have a bit of an edge on what to expect and what products are good and what to stay away from. I feel like a child waiting for Christmas to get here.

·
Learning Process
1,697 Posts
Lrdchaos, I disagree with you.

Well let's see; 1) My Dad retired from GM=GM Discount 2) My Mom retired from Ford= Option 1 Discount 3) I drive Dodge because I like them! I have 2 trucks my son has a 2012 Cummins my wife drives a Jeep JK Rubicon. So I can say yes to your question.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would have looked a whole lot closer at the 2012 Ford King Ranch if it was the same price as my Longhorn. Still glad I picked what I did.

Reactions: CumminsURus

·
Registered
698 Posts
Price was the main difference to me, although the lean was always towards the dodge having owned a 2010 1500 hemi cc. The "must haves" were already in place when searching for a heavy duty replacement for the 1500, only question was price differences

Everytime we looked at the fords they were always juuuuuuust a bit more than a comparably equipped dodge. honestly, gm never entered the picture. I tested the f150, the 1500, and the sierra alongside the ram when we were initially looking for a new truck, and I know I never felt good with the gm trucks

but there was a 2012 king ranch priced 10k less at a dealer that used it as their show truck we seriously considered. It had like 5k miles on it and I loved everything about it. Being a king ranch it was basically the highest trim and options you could get in the f250. They just couldnt bring it down below 50, nor were they giving us what we were looking for on our ram 1500

Had I trolled around a little longer on the forums I might have totally forgotten about the ford altogether, and maybe even the ram. Only reason I traded the 1500 for a diesel was that I wanted the option in the future to get a 5th wheel, and I knew dodge was the only one without DEF and this was the last year for it. Thats why I jumped on it

Ended up with a 3500, awesome deal on it and my trade-in, and everything about it save the engine is just like the old 2010 ram 1500. It was an easy transition

·
Air Force Vet
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel your pain GSM 24, I am patiently waiting for our new '12 3500 SLT CC LB 4x2 SRW Mineral Gray with 4:10's & extras to arrive. Should be at the dealer about mid August. I too took a beating on trading in an '06 6.0 that I ordered new. I will be glad when this ford is deleted right out of my garage. I am starting to count days, the dealer said a Aug. 6 ship date. A big thank you to all who post or give informative information on this site. Because of some of the smarter than me posters, I feel I have a bit of an edge on what to expect and what products are good and what to stay away from. I feel like a child waiting for Christmas to get here.
You're going to love your Cummins. It's a completed different ride than the Ford. With my old 6.4L, I would tow up Parleys Summit in Utah and the truck would run at about 3300 rpm and the twin turbos would be screaming. I tow the same trailer with my Cummins and it goes between 1600 and 2200 rpms over the same grade. There is so much low end torque in the Cummins. One thing I failed to mention in my initial post is the Cummins has an awesome exhaust brake. Between the exhaust brake and tow/haul mode, you hardly have to use the brakes. This is a long term savings in brake pads.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
No question it would still be a Dodge.

1. I will never trust a ford with a diesel
2. The Ford interior looks like an igloo cooler
3. My f-350 that I use at work feels like the axles are welded straight to the frame.

I love my truck, not so struck on the front end but there is no such thing as a perfect truck (until she's finished)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I will be honest and say I would probably have bought a durmax if I could have afforded it. On the other hand Ford could have been $10,000 cheaper and you still wouldn't have caught me on one of their lots. Brand loyal to Dodge and Chevy only in no particular order.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
It was between a dmax and cummins for me. Had made the mistake of buying a 6.0 ford and wasn't willing to take a chance on ANOTHER new PSD. I went with the Ram for quite a few reasons although price was one of them. There were plenty more.
1. Proven motor. Probably the biggest reason after the 6.0
2. BADASS interior
3. Mega cab
4. Solid front axle
5. My wife has an 07 Denali. And the interior was the same. Didn't want to buy a new truck and have it look outdated in a year.
6. Price.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I wouldn't buy a ram/cummins or any other diesel if it didn't come with a manual transmission.

Reactions: DieselWorkin

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
You are a very small minority tho. No offense intended.

·
Toyota and Cummins Nut!
1,391 Posts
The biggest factors for me was price and the inline 6 cylinder. If cost was the same, it would be a toss up for me, but the inline 6 would still sway me plus the sheer fact its a "Cummins" and its reputation. But if I did get the other brand, it probably would of been the GM Duramax. I doubt I'd of gotten a Ford.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Lmfao!! :rof:rof :hehe::hehe:

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've been a GM Dmax guy since they came out in 01 and LOVE the Duramax. BUT when it comes down to price I'd still go with the RAM I went after it specifically for that MEGACab!!! Eh the Cummins ain't bad either:hehe: As I've probably said a million times before this post once GM builds a Dmax megacab replica I will probably have to switch back....but I don't see government motors doing that anytime soon:doh:

·
Registered
943 Posts
No manual trans, no sale. I have no idea what the others cost, I never looked at or even considered them. This is my 3rd new Dodge, and I generally consider myself a Dodge fan. I also feel good about owning a Cummins engine, and inline 6.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts