Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, today i went to crank up one of our work trucks (99' 24valve/ manual trans) and the truck fired up and idled fine but when i went to ease into the gass the truck just went to wide open, let off and it idles fine touch the throttle and wide open again. We just replaced the throttle position sensor, so that is not the case. anyone have a clue as to what it might be?
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no help? noone has had anything similar to this happen to them?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Probably need to relearn the app sensor. Research it in the search bar and you can find all kinds of info on this. Not sure though, but I know the relearn is a easy process and only takes a couple of min. I just can't remember the process in how to do it. Good luck!!

·
Cummins Fanatic/INJECTION PUMP TECH ADVISOR
436 Posts
My bet would be the APPS. As mentioned above relearn the sensor. There are idle position sensors to tell the engine that you are off the pedal regardless of what the accelerator pedal position sensor says. Once these sensors say you are off the idle position then the APPS signal takes over and may believe you are at 3/4 throttle instantly. If the relearn doesn't work then the truck needs to be scanned.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
I don't suggest the APPS adjustment it a failed proceedure that it not going correct a wear issues.

Read my update to APPS sensor...
APPS Sensor
(Bottom of the page)

If there is current APPS problems and codes present then the only way to repair it is to replace it. Because 99% of the time when you adjust the voltage you cause 2 problems. 1. the idle validation switch will be in the wrong state and 2. The voltage will change again if you tap the throttle or use it for a short time. The other problem is the PCM doesn't control the engine so the measurement of voltage is at the wrong place...:doh:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Im not possitive but i had the same problem with my 99 2500 when we bought it we went through eveything from tps to reseting the ecm a few times and nothing we checked the voltage coming out of the plug wires going into the tps and all checked out so when all was said and done we had to buy a new ecm and once we got it all changed out it was good as new so hope i could help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts