Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My t-case is all fixed and now i need to adjust the idle after turning the fuel screw. So tried to get to the idle screw lock nut, but there is no room in between the engine and the pump to loosen it. Any suggestions and I also heard there is a special tool for this job, but i'm not sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have yet to find a good way. I just stick a combo wrench in there and turn it really really really slow :(

Chris

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I use the box end of a 1/4" wrench.

Mine is pretty easy to turn, I don't have to lever the wrench to the point of damaging the threads on the bolt.

Through some of the length of the bolt, I have skinny enough fingers to do it by hand.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I took a 10mm wrench that I had "extra" in my box and heated the box end, bent that straight, or close to it. Then I went after the shaft of the wrench with a grinder and ground both sides evenly until the center was about 3'8 wide. Worked like a charm. Can't turn the wrench very fast or far but it gets the job done. As for turning the screw I used a small screw driver to do that.
DS79

·
Registered
242 Posts
let some PB plaster saok on ALL the threads and the locknut overnight, or for at least 24 hours. then use a long flat head and a small mallet to tap the locknut loos, then just turn the threaded portion with youre fingers. its actually alot easier than its made out to be.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
deerslayer do you have a picture of that wrench you modified?

·
Registered
570 Posts
A chisel and small hammer will break it loose and then can be spun back with the touch of a finger. Repeat to tighten.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so hammer and chisel i'll try that. the truck can be running when u do this right? and does anyone sell a replacement screw just in case the screw desides to break?

Thanks

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yeah, do it while it's running just don't get caught in the fan or belts. It should be m-6 bolts so any fastenal shop should have what you need if you break it. Or I can send you my high idle screw cause it's not in the pump any more:w:.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I will try to get a pic monday when I go back to work. Nothing fancy, but it worked pretty good.
DS79

·
June ROTM Winner
377 Posts
This is a little work up front but has great benefits after you have done it.

1) Take the idle screw all the way out.

2) Turn it around and install it so that the slot is facing forward.

3) Use the two lock nuts on the end to help spin it back in going forward.

4) Break both nuts loose and put one back on in the front.

5) Toss the left over jam nut.

Now that you have this done you can break the nut loose from the front and turn the idle screw from the front.

You have to pull the throttle back to turn the idle screw. Make sure you do this with the engine off.

Its much faster this way to adjust and fire the truck a couple times then lock the nut.

If you do not understand I will take a picture and post it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have a good handle on what you mean snoot, but pictures always help, thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
I used a bent end needle nose to loosen the lock nut and a flexible shaft screwdriver to adjust the speed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts