Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum here. I got a 93 Ram 250 of course with the Cummins. I changed the governor spring and now the truck idles around 500rpm which is lower than when i first got it. I was wondering if it was okay to leave it there or if i should bring it back up to 700rpm?

·
Registered
661 Posts
i would prolly bring it back up a lil but thats just me...

·
Registered
253 Posts
if your oil pressure is ok, but i agree with gary, i'd raise it

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks for the replies looks like ill be bumpin it up in the mornin

·
Registered
98 Posts
I remember reading that it is not healthy to have a low idle on these engines but I cannot find the discussion right now. I would raise it up to 750rpm to be safe.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
You guys that have idle at 500 RPM all have manuals? My truck is shaking like a dog trying to pass a plum pit at 500 RPM...

Mine idles at 750 RPM cold, 600 RPM warm...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Low idle= cylinder wash

Turn your fuel screw in to up the idle if you can.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Why'd that be? It's a function of low combustion chamber temperatures and insufficiently atomized fuel...

I would think that the better flow of a CR engine would cause chamber temperatures to drop faster at idle and stay lower, but I would also think that they would atomize better at idle. Compression's the same, right? Higher compression would help prevent wash, I'd tend to think.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I like my idle up. I have mine at 825 warm and it runs smooth. I can't stand a low idle with a auto. Shakes the trim screws right out. It still goes into gear without a bang at 825.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts