Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

idle or shut engine off?

1074 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  DIESELGUY84
I use my 3500 for my business and I am stopped for 5-10 minutes 10-12 times on some days. engine is always warm and I'm not sure if I should shut it off for the stops or let it idle. Should I be idling for that long or shutting it off each time?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9,910 Posts
Depending how its driven (if just sputtering around, not putting a huge load on it) i would be shutting it off between stops. Give it 30sec or so for the turbo to wind down and the oil temp to drop and shut it off. no point in wasting fuel for nothing.

· Registered
27 Posts
Depending how its driven (if just sputtering around, not putting a huge load on it) i would be shutting it off between stops. Give it 30sec or so for the turbo to wind down and the oil temp to drop and shut it off. no point in wasting fuel for nothing.
carful oil temp doesn't refect turbo temp. turbo can still be hotter than the pyro temp shows ,when you first stop driving good luck :thumbsup:

· Registered
9,910 Posts
yes, but one of the main purposes of idling before shutdown is to allow the engine oil to cool. One more aid in avoiding coking the oil on the turbo shafts.

Manifold/pyro temp drops faster than oil temp anyways and really doesnt reflect the heat in the center section and shaft also.

· Registered
434 Posts
Invest in a Turbo timer, BD sells one that will shut you're truck off based on EGT. and is adjustable, I think they're about $150 or so. IMO well worth the fuel savings and seeing the looks on people's faces when you're truck shuts off on it's own:hehe:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.