Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all.

I 've had my '01 Ram 2500 for 1,5 years now and I've been wondering what tuner may have been used on it. The truck had a dual disc clutch up until the very last previous owner untill a rivet holding the friction material came off and prevented the clutch from releasing. The last owned told me that the truck has been tuned by "some" previous owner but there's no way I can follow up on it. This setup also has an Airdog Raptor 100 pump, fuel pressure gauge, boost gauge and EGT gauge on the A pillar.

Key features at the moment:
- There's no telling what injectors, stock or something bigger
- Fuel pressure stays at a minimum touch under 11psi when flooring it, up to 14psi at idle.
- Stock turbo, intercooler and intake
- Big exhaust
- I haven't found any extra wiring or modules except for the Airdog and some old aftermarket car alarm with remote central locking
- High idle and or 3 cylinder high idle will kick in if the engine is very, very cold after starting
- Boost gage will go up to around 20 or 21 psi (1,4-1,5bar), but it may not be completely accurate since they gage makes a small hissing sound = leaking. And I don't have anything heavy enough to tow so I run out of gear before or the very moment the turbo is spooled up
- It will smoke a lot under load if asked to by my right foot and the torque is very monsterous by my standards

My best guess is it has been tuned with a Smarty, but are there other tuners that can enable cold high idles? The reson I'm asking is that I've been considering getting a Smarty because the current fuel mileage is a bit tough on my wallet and I would like to be able to adjust the power level around. And the amount of smoke is a bit... much :grin2: I asked MADS Electronics and they told me that a new Smarty would be able to overwrite MOST other types of tuners, but of course there is no guarantee from them.

Also a dealer flash is not available on this side of the earth so getting a tuner is the next best option, but I'd like to be sure that it will work.

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
You can't really see what tuner was on it.

You can look for a pump tap wire to see if it had a piggy back tuner or not.

I would get your injectors pinned out to find if they are stock first. Then go from there.

6 cyl and 3 cyl where "cold weather" options that could be enabled by a smarty or dealer. Lots of smoke tells me that either it has big injectors or a Smarty still loaded. Now if you have bigger than stock injectors ,Unless you go the UDC pro route the smarty is not good for smoke control.

There are various tuners out there you can go with. You can read some and figure out what you want.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I wonder if running stock tune on bigger injectors would cause any problems in terms of how the engine runs? Theres also the possibility that a tuning shop made a tune for the truck just by using a suitable computer and their own tinkering, who knows. The food for thought kind of mystery lies in that is there really any tuner that doesen't need to stay plugged in AND wouldn't be overwritable by other tuners, such as the Smarty.

I'm pretty sure that there is no wire tap on the injection pump, but I'll have to check it just to make sure.

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
stock tuning on big injectors won't cause anything other than smoke, more defueling, and more power. the ecm does a pretty good job of keeping things under control.

A tuner didn't tune with a computer. the VP44 world is not widely know. there is no RomRaider open source style programs for it. UDC pro is the only thing and that only came on the market a few years ago.

All piggy back systems leave no trace so if you pull them off you get stock tuning again. These type of tuners intercept the fueling and timing commands and alter and resend at a higher priority. Any ecm flash tuning would be overwritten by another ecm flashing program. It isn't possible to not overwrite the tune on the ecm when you use a smarty or other obd style tuner.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently got me a Smarty S-03. I can now confirm that flashing the truck to stock will smoke just as before I got it. I did one test drive on level 4 and it will roll some serious coal. Though partly it may be because the exhaust pipe setup is very wide and it builds up a lot of carbon that doesen't get blown out in normal driving.

It's got the REVO software, so it has the option to change additional options within the default program level, I think atleast. I've now been testing fuel saver, but changing the injection timing option to "aftermarket injectors" caused very big inconsistency in my fuel pressure, so I had to revert it to default. Don't really know why though, since it appeared to produce the least smoke in normal driving. And I mean even on idle fuel pressure was very unstable for some reason. Timing on default and I have same fuel pressure as before.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No smoke here with Smarty using any of the tunes, Revo, and RV275 injectors. You must have bigger injectors.
My Revo settings are : Torque 6, Duration 4 and Timing 2. To try and control your smoke back off duration. You'll have to back Torque down with larger injectors too.

Reactions: Luoppis

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips! I got it to a point where I don't have to feather the throttle in order to not smoke too much, but I can still smoke well enough if I put my foot to the floor. I think I went with mild torque and mild duration for now. I might go up a notch on the torque, but I'll have to see how this turns out fuel economy wise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts