Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like engine soot is going to be a lifelong problem for these motors. I'd like to see a technical thread that discusses the issue and helps an owner figure out whether his EGR needs to be cleaned and shows me how to do it myself. Every motor will need it by 60,000 miles if I remember the owner's manual correctly. Seems like plenty of folks will need it a lot more than that. If it wasn't too hard I'd try to deal with it myself. I don't entirely trust the local dealer. They seem to want to fix everthiing with a reflash (the clean hands approach to being a diesel tech).

·
Registered
112 Posts
It looks like engine soot is going to be a lifelong problem for these motors. I'd like to see a technical thread that discusses the issue and helps an owner figure out whether his EGR needs to be cleaned and shows me how to do it myself. Every motor will need it by 60,000 miles if I remember the owner's manual correctly. Seems like plenty of folks will need it a lot more than that. If it wasn't too hard I'd try to deal with it myself. I don't entirely trust the local dealer. They seem to want to fix everthiing with a reflash (the clean hands approach to being a diesel tech).
From TSBs I've read, I think you are right on the money. Even if you keep the DPF clean, you'll have soot in the EGR and down in the turbo. Just from looking at the sticky post about an EGR delete, it looks like it wouldn't be too bad to take it off and clean it up.

Probably stupid, but seems like somebody needs to design a simple, replaceable carbon filter for the EGR system.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Here ya go from the manual, I have done this many times to mine and you will want to get you a set of gaskets to replace under the EGR if you do this on your on. There are two seperate gaskets, so make sure to get two...

Then just in my experience of the trouble I had, go ahead and take the air horn off and clean the heater grid also. I had mine carboned and sooted up so bad that I was loosing power from it being blocked up so bad...

Sorry the PIC's in my manual don't copy and paste like the text does, but I hope this will help you on the cleaning...

CLEANING

6.7L EGR VALVE CLEANING PROCEDURE
1. Remove EGR valve assembly from engine. Refer to 6.7L EGR Valve removal.
2. Remove four mounting screws (4) from EGR valve motor (3).

3. Remove valve motor (6) and shim (5) from EGR valve housing (1). Motor (6) and shim (5) must be kept for reassembly. The original EGR valve motor and its shim must be reinstalled onto the original EGR valve housing.

4. Use two fingers to press down on valve spring retainer (3) to unlock two valve keepers (2). If valve keepers will not release using finger pressure, locate a 5/8” deep socket to the spring retainer (3). Gently tap on the socket with a small hammer to release keepers, then use two fingers and press for keeper removal.

5. Remove valve spring retainer (3) and valve spring (2).

6. Lightly press on valve stem (1) about 3/8” to force valve faces from valve seats.
7. Using a small nylon scrubbing brush, lightly brush away loose soot from EGR valve housing.

8. The EGR valve shaft stem (3) is comprised of two valve faces (1) on two valve seats. Using the same small nylon scrubbing brush, lightly brush away loose soot from stem (3), valve seat (2) and also from valve seat on EGR valve housing.
9. Completely submerge valve housing using a mixture of hot tap water and MOPAR® EGR System Cleaner (ESC). Mix cleaning solution 1 part ESC and 4 parts water. Allow cleaning solution to soak for 1 hour.
10. Remove assembly from cleaning solution. Completely remove remaining soot from valve stems, both valve seats, and both valve faces using a small nylon scrubbing brush. Dispose of cleaning solution per local governmental regulations.
11. Rinse EGR valve housing in hot tap water until all cleaning solution is rinsed clean. Dry completely.

12. Assemble valve spring (2) and retainer (3) to housing.

13. Position valve keepers (2). Press down on retainer (3) until groves on valve keepers lock into valve stem (1).

14. Install original shim (5) and original motor (6) to housing. Motor is not indexed. Rotate motor until its electrical connector is pointed towards front of vehicle. Install four mounting screws (7).
15. Install EGR valve assembly to engine. Refer to 6.7L EGR Valve installation.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info from the manual. If somebody does this themselves I sure hope they take some pictures and post them. I don't think I could do it based on the text descriptions alone.

On the subject of additional components with soot problems, like you said with the grid heater, I've seen some tech literature that talks about the intercooler getting sooted up inside and needing to be cleaned out too.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2008 Ram 2500 QCSB, 2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
2,457 Posts
Hey Jeb, where did you get the online service manual?

·
Premium Member
713 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Thanks for the info from the manual. If somebody does this themselves I sure hope they take some pictures and post them. I don't think I could do it based on the text descriptions alone.

On the subject of additional components with soot problems, like you said with the grid heater, I've seen some tech literature that talks about the intercooler getting sooted up inside and needing to be cleaned out too.
You will need to remove the cooler,fill with a dishwashing solution(you don't want to use any petro based cleaners)
slosh it around good and give it a good drying out before reinstalling.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
So where is the 2007 CD on there? Or can I use the 2008 CD.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Dang dude, they left it off the list didn't they LOL... I bet you call Geno's and ask them, I bet they have them...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Thanks for posting this information Jeb! As soon as I order some new gaskets I will be taking some more parts off my truck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts