Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It turns out the problem is the transfer case not the torque converter. One of the gears that controls the 2H is messed up. I found another np205 for 350 dollars at a junk yard, or the other option would to rebuild it. Are there any sites that sell upgrade kits for the np205 to make them stonger? Thanks

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
Here is a link with the greak down and they sell parts also.

NP205 Transfer Case Parts Parts with parts Illustration! Free technical support!

Stay away from quad4x4 if you do a internet search for 205 parts. I was not happy with the one purchase I made from them.

The few times I have worked on a used transfer case if you have to buy hard parts like gears it has been cheaper to replace the transfer case.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there anyway to test a junkyard t-case while its out of a truck?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I payed a little over $200 for a rebuild kit and rebuilt my np205 myself. These t-cases are really simple. I wouldn't pay $350 for a np205, just rebuild yours. Then you know its solid.

Unless you can manually spin really fast, no there is no real way to test it. You could tear it down and inspect the internals, but then your half way to rebuilding it :lol3:

Think about it this way, your replacing a 20 year old worn out t-case with another 20 year old t-case.

Chris

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where did you get the rebuild kit?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a difference between the gas t-case and the diesel one?

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Is there a difference between the gas t-case and the diesel one?
The short answer is yes. IF the gaser has a np205 its not going to be the same input. I think most of the t-cases you'll find out of dodge gasers will be np208s. There are many different variations of the np205 out there.

Chris

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
the back yoke is the only difference if it is for the auto .from what I have seen no other change .

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if i find a gas t-case, then i could just take the good output shaft and yoke from mine and put it in there? Cause there is a good chance that a gas t-case is cheaper, than a diesel.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm running out of options with a t-case, i want to go through all my options before i have to buy a junkyard t-case. (with no warrenty) It turns out the parts i need are the rear wheel output shaft, shift fork, and clutch wheel. On all the sites i go to none of them have the parts. Could I do a swap to a ford or chevy, t-case? Because i find ford and chevy- t-cases in good condition for $50. Thanks, i appriciate everyones help. wanna get my truck up and running again

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok got another t-case on friday :$: and its in today, just gotta fill the tranny and t-case with fluid. Hope everything turns out good. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Did you take old one apart to see what was busted?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah the shift fork, clutch wheel, and one of the gears on the output shaft that meets the transmission shaft was worn. so i'm think even though the clutch was engaged, it was slipping off the worn gears.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts