Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading more in the last week than ever in my life due to the dreaded DW "Death Wobble" which I now have been so lucky to get!:banghead: which brings me to the tire forum. I want to continue to run 315/70/R17's and found the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac which also have a load range of "E". Anyone running these and if so, what do you think? I have BFGs right now which are known for contributing greatly to the DW. thanks in advance

·
Registered
115 Posts
:bump: just looked at these too today any good reviews?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Well, working at a tire shop all I can say is, it's a goodyear, what more do you want?

We have more people coming in to replace their goodyears with something else than anything else, they either shake, or wobble, or have a separation, wear out too soon

the list goes on, normally their truck tires are ok, but their car tires are a whole load of crap and should never be put on anything, including a little red wagon. . . .

I would stick with a toyo, or a nitto, even kuhmo makes good inexpensive tires, bridgestone and firestone make pretty good tires too, but not for the money

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you sure they're E rated? I was looking at them too, and on the tire rack site they listed them as E's, but when I looked at the actual Goodyear spec site here;

Goodyear Tires | SUV and Truck Tires | Wrangler DuraTrac

It shows the weight spec at 50 psi instead of 80 like some of the others, which makes me think they`re D`s instead. I also found another site someplace that showed them as D`s, but I can`t seem to find it now.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have the DurTrac in 285-70-27 on my truck. They are a D rated tire however both my dealership and Goodyear agreed that the design of the tire and load rating of the tire were better than the stock 10-ply Michelins on my truck. I love these tires and no DW.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ya I'm dissapointed they did not offer the Duratracs in a 35" size for a 17" with an E rating. They have it in both 16" and 18" rims. I fired a message off to goodyear to see if there planning on making anything in this range - we'll see if I get a reply or not

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just saw picture of these tires yesturday while I was at disount tire and I was somewhat impressed by the looks of them. What are some reviews on them so far now that they have been out awhile? Hoe w do they hold up while towing, while in sand? I would have liked them to have made them in 305/70/17 but closest I've seen are either 315s or 285s. I can't run 315s b/c they hit so I'm either stuck running these hard to find size of nittos or move down in size. What are y'all thoughts on these tires so far?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just saw picture of these tires yesturday while I was at disount tire and I was somewhat impressed by the looks of them. What are some reviews on them so far now that they have been out awhile? Hoe w do they hold up while towing, while in sand? I would have liked them to have made them in 305/70/17 but closest I've seen are either 315s or 285s. I can't run 315s b/c they hit so I'm either stuck running these hard to find size of nittos or move down in size. What are y'all thoughts on these tires so far?

I have the 285-70-17 Dura-Tracs on my truck. Love the tires!!! they work great while towing my 12K 5th wheel. They do have a little road hum noise to them but nothing major. I am 100% satisfied......

pm me for pics

·
Registered
558 Posts
Tires

BFG KM 2'S or TOYO M 55's Good Year Kevlars :thumbsup::flag1::flag::flag::usa:

·
Registered
44 Posts
The an ascsemtrical mud terrain, they havnt even been out long enough for anyone to know but goodyear if there even worth a , I work at a tire shop and have put goodyears on and had them on my personal vehicals, based on my my personal encounters with goodyears over the past 5 years goodyears suck

·
Registered
44 Posts
and the people at discount tire are salesmen, not tire experts, they want to sell you the most exspensive tire they can, now if Michelin came out with a mud tire i might consider laying out the cash but as far as goodyear. nope

·
Registered
848 Posts
Alternative

Look at the Dunlop Rover Maxx Traction as an alternative. When I put new tires on my 04.5 I went with the 275 70 18" Maxx Tractions & I am extremely pleased with this for the all around conditions that I am faced with in the Alberta Oil Patch.

Dunlop Tires | Catalog | Rover M/T Maxx Traction

I have a colleague working with me that has the Goodyears on his truck & he is very happy with them too. The Dunlops are considerably less expensive than the Goodyears & personally I prefer their appearance.

These tire profiles were both new in March 09 so it is too early to tell how they will last. I have 5000 mi on mine with no issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got a set of them put on my truck. 285/75-16. They look really good. Quiet on the road. The only thing I dont like is the truck seems to wander more. I dont know if its the tires or if something is starting to get loose in my steering. I didnt notice this with my old tires. Maybe tire pressure?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I also have a set on the way. Wheeltrax is yours 10ply?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just got a set of them put on my truck. 285/75-16. They look really good. Quiet on the road. The only thing I dont like is the truck seems to wander more. I dont know if its the tires or if something is starting to get loose in my steering. I didnt notice this with my old tires. Maybe tire pressure?
I noticed the same thing with my new Duratracs but I know my steering linkages have some slack. I guess my old ProComps had so much tire pull it didnt wander. I am really happy with these tires. Look mean, ride pretty quiet and hopefully wear good.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Fyi

Duratracs are comparable to Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T
NO they are NOT.

the REVO is an AT while the Duratrac is a hybrid between the AT & an MT yet it is snowflake rated.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts