Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

I really need help... steering issues AGAIN...

6201 Views 21 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Super10brss
:banghead::banghead::banghead: I am sooooo tired of a freakin DODGE :shock:

I have had this truck 5k miles and it is a MONEY PITT... My Chevy's I NEVER had a problem with steering and safety.... I can't get my steering right... I installed the steering box support from BD and it helped alot... new shocks... helped alot... well it is back to her old tricks... all over the road... track bar is tight.. steering arms are loss as he!!.... If I am going to replace the steering set up I am going with the 94 to 98 set up....

OK... nice vent.... will this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STEERING-PART-DODGE-RAM-2500-3500-94-97-HD-TIE-ROD-LINK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20adbb5309QQitemZ140353688329QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2091wt_862 work?

I don't want to toss more major bucks at this thing... I still need a $3500 :thumbsup:trans... and my wife is about to kill me for all the money I have in my "new" truck... suggestions welcome....

Thanks guys :thumbsup:
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
:S: I feel for you man, my truck is in the shop as I write this. So far I got a new track bar, steering box, and alignment....Nothing has fixed the wandering yet. Next stop, adjustable ball joints to get my caster where it should be. We'll see :confused013:

· Registered
9,118 Posts
I have replaced ball joints, new wheel hubs, BD steering brace, and a few other doo dads and it has made it a night and day difference in the way it used to drive... next on the list is new track bar set up, and inner and outter tie rods and whatever else is down there

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:rof Seems like a common thing I am hearing... so does any one know if the above posted flea-bay link would work on my truck?

· Registered
552 Posts
I used to have serious steering issues with mine, the guy that i bought my truck from had replaced everything in the front end and it still went all over the road. I bought because i thought is was the extemley worn 36x 13.5 iroc super swampers on it, so i put new tires on and it still did it. got underneath and had somebody turn the steering so i could see if anything was loose or possibly bind and i heard a bolt snap. Turns out there is a drop block on the lift kit to drop the draglink, one of two bolts was cracked and working it's way too breaking. It had been like that for a while, there was rust half way into the bolt, i got lucky and it broke in the driveway. Might be something to check if any of you are using lift kits that use a block like that. haven't had a problem since.

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about some part numbers :thumbsup:

My search has found that 98-99 had a HD T style set up... you can buy the parts NEW to convert every thing over...

For 2000-2002 truck...
Long Tie Rod #DS1456
Drag Link #DS1459
Left Out Tie Rod # ES3496
Tie Rod @Pitman Arm #ES3527
Small Adj. Sleeve #ES2012S
Large Adj. Sleeve #ES3498S

For 94 - 1999
Long tie rod: DS1456
Drag link: DS1459
Left tie rod end: ES3496
Drag link tie rod end: ES3497
Small adjusting sleeve: ES2012S
Large adjusting sleeve: ES3498S

The drag link rod end has a different taper in the 00 - 02 so there is one part to change as listed above...

Once installed this is what it looks like...

Only thing is you have to work out your stabilizer shock.. .since the center link bar does not have a hole for that...

Also you can get almost all the parts off flea-bay STEERING DODGE RAM 2500 3500 98-99 LINK ENDS : eBay Motors (item 140361526507 end time Jan-20-10 08:26:21 PST) Not sure of the brand but the ad has Moog part numbers... I sent a question what brand they are... so guess we will see...

Good luck peeps :thumbsup:

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wanted to give an update here... I ordered the parts off flea-bay (the link from a few posts up... the guy was really good and swapped out ES3527 instead of the ES3497 that was originally in the ad)

Came UPS yesterday... VERY... VERY... impressed with how it went together and drives... I don't want to jinx myself... but it drives 1000% better than it did... I still have to get an alignment, and get my steering wheel straight... but all and all this is a nice swap....

The main bar that goes from knuckle to knuckle is 2 times as thick as the stock junk...

I just can't say enough about how pleased I am. :thumbsup:

· Registered
111 Posts
Honestly, I have no Idea how you got that swap completed. I bought the '99 HD kit for my '02 and the tapers were completely different, even on the knuckles. I just looked at autozone online and the standard suspension part #'s from a '99 to an '01 are different.

The '99 has the parts you listed above, but the '01 takes part #'s:
ES3526
ES3527
DS1462
DS1460

I am not saying you didn't do the swap or are wrong, but I went down that road and it didn't work. Do you have any pictures of the set up?

· Registered
2,797 Posts
the ebay ad shows its for a 94-97
(DODGE RAM R2500 WITH DANA 60 AXLE (8800 LB GVWR) BEFORE 2/7/94 PROD-97.
DODGE RAM R3500 (1 TON) BEFORE 2/7/94 PROD-97 (4WD) ALL).

Part Brand: O.E.Brand = OEM equipment?

I dont know about 2nd gens but everything oem on the front of a 3rd gen. is junk

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly, I have no Idea how you got that swap completed. I bought the '99 HD kit for my '02 and the tapers were completely different, even on the knuckles. I just looked at autozone online and the standard suspension part #'s from a '99 to an '01 are different.

The '99 has the parts you listed above, but the '01 takes part #'s:
ES3526
ES3527
DS1462
DS1460

I am not saying you didn't do the swap or are wrong, but I went down that road and it didn't work. Do you have any pictures of the set up?
You are correct, some the 98 - 99 trucks have a HD steering setup. If I am not mistaken those trucks have a higher GVW than the standard duty trucks. My truck 01.5 and most 1999 - 2002 trucks have a inverted Y design steering set up. Mine, wore out, when you hit a bump in the road the tires would tow in and out big time making it "wander" in the road. The HD design has a center link bar that goes from one knuckle to the other making it impossible to tow in and out going down the road (if every thing is tight). I searched high and low to come up with a differnt steering set up (than the inverted Y) and found Ram Modifications which turned out to be very informative. I also used http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/steering-stabilizer-damper-options-heavy-duty-t-t240399.html?&highlight=steering+damper for my steering stabilizer bracket. I do not have pics right now, but I will post some up tonight.

the ebay ad shows its for a 94-97
(DODGE RAM R2500 WITH DANA 60 AXLE (8800 LB GVWR) BEFORE 2/7/94 PROD-97.
DODGE RAM R3500 (1 TON) BEFORE 2/7/94 PROD-97 (4WD) ALL).

Part Brand: O.E.Brand = OEM equipment?

I dont know about 2nd gens but everything oem on the front of a 3rd gen. is junk
The ebay item I listed is for a 94-97 HD steering conversion, The difference in the 94-97 and the 99-02's is the taper of the pitman arm at the steering box. That is why you have to swap out ES3497 for ES3527. You also have to cut some of the threads off the ES3527 so your steering wheel will be straight (which I have not done yet)...

Not sure about the O.E. brand name and quality you have seen... I guess time will tell... I was impressed with the quality when I did my install. It had to be better than the worn out inverted Y design that was on my truck. I quoted Rock Auto, the parts I needed was like $300 to $400 before shipping for Moog parts. After it was all said and done the ebay O.E. brand was like $150....

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Damn, that seems like a KILLER deal. :thumbsup:

I have the same issues with mine... I've been thinking I'm just going to with Thuren's kit. I ran his adjustable track bar on my old half ton and absolutely loved it, so I figured I'd throw that kit on and be done with steering stuff forever.

However, the link you posted there has me rethinking that. Pretty hard price to beat...

· Registered
111 Posts
I've been to the ram modifications page and bought the HD style steering for a '99 HD truck from NAPA. I went to install the parts and the tapers on the knuckles were different for the tie rod ends. The knuckles are a different design on the 00-02 than the older 94-99 ones.

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been to the ram modifications page and bought the HD style steering for a '99 HD truck from NAPA. I went to install the parts and the tapers on the knuckles were different for the tie rod ends. The knuckles are a different design on the 00-02 than the older 94-99 ones.
Not sure what to say here guys... the only thing I would recommend is to cross reference the Moog parts with Napa parts if that is the brand you want to use. Also found one more guy here on the forum that has done this same set up... http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-non-powertrain/232070-top-gunz-customs-control-arms-t-steering-upgrade.html :thumbsup:

· Registered
43 Posts
I have an 02 and I'm really considering doing this, along with the 03 track bar upgrade. My truck is getting to where it scares me and I've been through two 02 track bars in 25k miles.

Question tho, I was looking at your part numbers here and love how easy you're making this to figure out. But I have a concern... On the MOOG site the long tie rod states "driver side." Does it really matter because the pics and how it should be on my truck should be pass right? I'm itching to push the "buy" button. Thanks!

For 2000-2002 truck...
Long Tie Rod #DS1456
Drag Link #DS1459

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have an 02 and I'm really considering doing this, along with the 03 track bar upgrade. My truck is getting to where it scares me and I've been through two 02 track bars in 25k miles.

Question tho, I was looking at your part numbers here and love how easy you're making this to figure out. But I have a concern... On the MOOG site the long tie rod states "driver side." Does it really matter because the pics and how it should be on my truck should be pass right? I'm itching to push the "buy" button. Thanks!

For 2000-2002 truck...
Long Tie Rod #DS1456
Drag Link #DS1459
Yea... one problem I had before I bumped onto the actual part numbers listed above was making sure I was getting the right parts and pieces... You can go to places like Rock Auto and put in a 98 dodge 2500 bla bla bla... and come up with many different brands... parts... and "descriptions".... the descriptions is the killer.. every company describes their part a little different even if it is the exact same thing... If I were going to not use Moog or the listed ebay auction I would go to my local parts store (not advanced, or o'riley) and tell the guy to cross reference the moog part numbers to see what he can come up with. When I searched Rock Auto with the exact Moog part number the total bill came up to between 3 and 4 hundred :shock:...

Any ways... I love my new steering... now I just need longer control arms to go with my 35-12.5's :banghead:... Fix one thing and find others that need attention :spank:

Reactions: Krazymoon

· Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, my total just for the MOOG parts was 399.00 based on your part numbers exactly. You know I dont' have a problem with that price if it'll fix the damn steering! :)

Going to run it by a bro of mine, he gets a Napa discount for his business and may be better to have him do the work.

Thanks a lot!

· Registered
51 Posts
I am interested in this setup as well. Was the stock/upgraded 00-02 track bar retained for the T steering? Very interested in pics!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.