Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started a couple weeks ago, TCC kept coming unlocked and then lock up back n forth. I disconnected the connector at the TPS, cleaned it and put it back in. Worked out for a week or so. Then started acting up again so this time I have cleaned the grounds I could find. All plugs at the Trans, the altenator grounds and wires, as well as battery terminals. Worked for one trip down the road. Next I go a voltmeter and drew 5 volts at the plug and 1.079 volts with the plug attached, key on and engine off at idle setting. At WOT I was drawing about 3.5 volts. Still no luck. I tried adjusting the idle power to 1.3 volts and around 4 at WOT. This made it worse as the TCC would not lock at all. Retraced my steps and got it back to the beginning. From here I noticed the connecter that holds the three wires to the TPS is loose and the two female ends in the connecter or stretched out. Also upon observation I found corrosion in the ground wire as well as the orange wire. Cut and spliced new wire in.

Oh forgot, PCM looks good, no bent stems or ends. All clean.

Before I break out the $$ for the sensor can anyone help a fellow member out with some insite or have I reached the point that I have to buy the sensor?

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
The windings of the TPS get hammered at the throttle position used the most, mainly highway speed, and short out. This causes an impure voltage signal to the PCM, OD unlocks.
No way to fix it, sometimes you have to just break down and buy a new TPS.
It seems like the newer ones last longer at least.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I might try the POT. Will this also help keep the TCC locked in?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE:

So I went with a new TPS...throttle is more responsive but still getting eratic in and out lock up in 3rd gear. Going to try a couple things right now, 1. lower my idle speed. Not sure how that could help buy im at a dead end. 2. fix the plug that goes into the TPS (two outer female ends are stretched and possible not getting good contact.

Any other possible ideas guys?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing at one point so I changed the fluid and filter and adjusted the bands and now I don't have any problems.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:

I ended up ditching the TPS and going with a potentionmeter in the cab. I followed the directions in a sticky on another website. I followed instructions closely but I ran into some new problems. Now my converter will not lock up at all. I like having O/D at my finger tips but now i lost the hunting in and out of L/U and it just doesnt do anything now.

I set the knob so that the 9:00 position is the furthermost left (counter clockwise) Upon start up it was drawing a lot of voltage and pert near lowering my voltmeter to 10 volts from 14. Clockwise rotation decreases the voltage. Now I read that you have to hook it up back wards because the tps is set upside down.

What should I check now that I have no l/u whatsoever?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New update:

Took the POT back out and switched the two outer wires (had them backwards) and also lowered my idle to about 800 +/-. I now have lock up in 3 and OD. POT is working great! Now I can finally sleep. Thank you to all who gave help where they could.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was going to write you that, make sure you hook the wires up properly.... Now shink wrap it.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Keep an eye on your alternator. The brushes are probably about done for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts