Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im runnin a 6" lift with 35s and i need to save some fuel, if i take my lift off, could i run 33's or should i just run a meaty 31 and call it good. I hate to loose the lift but times are tight. What ya think??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
would doing that help my fuel enough to make it worth it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i was to run the stock tire size, what could i get with mileage. I never drove the truck stock, i bought it and the guy dropped it off and i lifted it right away, so i dont know what it can do at a more normal height

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I run 33 12.5's on my 89 w250 with stock springs. Its ok on the street but would rub if twisted up off road. If its a auto your looking at 16 to 18 mpg. I could get close to 20 on long trips if I was on conserve mode ( light foot ). If it is a standard you should be a little better. Bigger tires do have more rolling drag and wind drag. I think you would see a diffrence expecially if you put on a stock tire that was not agressive. Fuel milage has alot to do with how you drive. My wife can get more milage out of every one of our cars and trucks because she is not in a hurry and putt's along. Every cummins is going to be a little diffrent. I have 2 and one always gets 1 to 2 mpg better and they are identical 89's.

·
Banned
400 Posts
I wouldn't bother, just drive slower. If you are driving sanely and don't have your foot way into it all the time now to where drag at speeds above around 70mph is hurting mileage, you'll actually lose mileage due to the lower gearing of the smaller tires.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
It all goes off the skinny pedal on the right the more you push it the less you will get I had my old crewcab with 37's and running it wide open on hwy i could get 16 or better but if I slowed down it went up to 20 .Do like we do on the dirt track car's act like there is a egg under the gas pedal and just ease into it you will see a difference .

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Yeah, but being that tall will drasticaly effect the wind resistance. That makes a big difference. Plus the weight of the bigger tires etc. You'd be suprized how much better it'd be in stock form with stock type tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. i think if i drove like a grandma it would help but with all this power, that aint happenin haha. im kinda sick of havin the biggest truck in town, it is nice but it gets old, especially on the ranch, i get sick of climbin in and out of the *******. i think if put it back down to stock height with some 32s or 33s, i would be much happier. i have been lookin at some 285/75/16s and those are about 32.8s so that would be good. i guess all in all im just ready for something new

·
Registered
236 Posts
On the truck i sold last week it had 35x12.50 BFG and it got 16-18 all the time if I babied it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts