Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around 6 months ago, my brother bought a 2008 ford f350 with a 97 12 valve cummins, it ran great, everything was fine. But around a month ago it began having some issues, the battery dies within 1 hour of shutting the car off. Also when we are driving around the car stalls when we come to a complete stop and on some occasions it stop before we come to a complete stop. He took the truck to our mechanic and he had the truck for a while now, and the thing doesn't seem to get fixed. The mechanic is trustworthy, he has fixed all our diesel engines for the last decade, but just this damm truck. We need help. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Since its a Swap.
But a 12valve only requires like 3 wires to run ..
So
I would suspect the Fuel Shut off wiring is boggered up.

·
Registered
631 Posts
You may very well have two separate issues.

Just one battery? Have you had the battery/batteries tested? Checked for parasitic current draw?

As mentioned, the fuel shutoff solenoid (FSS) wiring may be screwed up - if it's even got a FSS. Since this is in a swap, no telling what the PO did for fuel-lever activation. Does the engine have an FSS, or is fuel shutoff cable-controlled?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does the 12 valve have a mechanical lift pump? I can’t remember. It’s been too many diesels.

Honestly as soon as I have problems with the fuel shutoff I get a choke cable and plumb it in to turn the truck off.

For the drain, you have so much custom wiring. A diesel mechanic may not be the best at electrical

Sometimes I will put a battery switch on and kill the battery so I can use the truck until I figure it out.

A sneaking suspicion is it has an electric lift pump that is wired to a wrong type of relay. It’s on when the trucks off and off when it’s running. It still has a mechanical lift pump to keep it going. It’s pumping before you start the truck and limiting fuel pressure once the motor is running.

That’s a long shot. But I would sort out what they did to the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
Lucas - 12 valves in their original configuration do have a mechanical lift pump. No telling if that is still the case in this swap, though. It would be very helpful if the original poster would fill in his signature block with everything he knows about the truck or give us another post with those details.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts