Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the starter on my truck today - and I couldn't get it to start after I got done.

If you put 12V straight to small connector on the starter is engages and turns over.
So I narrowed the problem down to the Relay box.

On the starter relay... 35 is the input from the ignition and 36 is the ground for 35
87 is supposed to be hot - either all the time or with the ignition is on (This is my assumption - I would assume its hot all the time.
and 30 goes to the starter - I put 12v directly to this connection and it kicked right over.

The problem seems to be at 87 (top pin if you pull the relay out) since it is never hot. I pulled fuse panel up and there is a pink/gray wire running to the large connector at the bottom (JP1?)

Anyways I'm looking for a wiring diagram so I can track down where this problem actually is so I can fix it the right way.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd be much obliged. :confused013:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is really tiny - Any chance I could get a bigger copy of that? :)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
That is really tiny - Any chance I could get a bigger copy of that? :)
you need to click it. its a screenshot from a 1280x1168 screen trust me its big enough:thumbsup:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cclicked on it.. the image was more like 400x320

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
try jumpering the safety neutral switch, on an auto truck its on the drv side of the tranny, on a stick I think its on the pass side

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ruled out the neutral safety.. I supplied 12v directly to 87 and hit the ignition and it turned over..

the problem has to be some where in the fuse panel under the hood.

·
Registered
523 Posts
pin 30 hot all time pin 86 hot in start 85 is ground to p/n switch

·
Registered
523 Posts
pin 30 hot all time pin 86 hot in start 85 is ground to p/n switch

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
you need to click it. its a screenshot from a 1280x1168 screen trust me its big enough:thumbsup:
Yeah, youre not a premium member so your attachments will be scaled down. Just povide people a link to the FSM.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I ruled out the neutral safety.. I supplied 12v directly to 87 and hit the ignition and it turned over..

the problem has to be some where in the fuse panel under the hood.
30 is fused 30amp hot all times 86 is hot at start and grounds through 85 wich pulls switch to put pin 30 hot to pin 87 that goes to starter. so check that pin 86 is hot from switch at start and is being groundd by P/N switch

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Try looking at # D (or #10 in some) fuse in the engine compartment. sometimes the simple things are overlooked...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts