Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The radiator on my 2014 has sprung a leak. It seems that there are a lot of aftermarket replacements out there in the $150-$200 range and, of course, the OEM replacement is much, much more expensive. Has anyone had experience with aftermarket and can recommend any particular brand? I need to get the truck back up and running so I would like to get one on order.

I will be replacing it myself BTW, which looks like it will be a fun job. Any thoughts there would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jeff

·
Registered
117 Posts
There actually not that difficult to take out.

Id recommend the mishimoto ones. There basicly best in business. Fully alum and welded.

If your not interested in spending that much. Id suggest OEM unit. After that its hit or miss on the cheap aftermarket ones. Someone people have amazing luck and no issues. Others have nothing but problems and end up going with OEM eventually.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I’ve heard of quality issues with Mishimoto recently and here’s a recent example on here:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I’ve found a few bad reviews online for their Cummins truck. Could be trolls but it’s enough to not risk my money and stick with OEM

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well seeing as alot of the top dogs in the diesel world run them even unsponsored not sure what to say haha. I know I wouldn't run nothing other the. Mishimoto or OEM

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’m curious if you can get rid of the dual radiator set up on the 2014, and just replace it with a single Mishimoto.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
There are better ones out there than the mushymoto. But you will pay more.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like the Mishimoto and the OEM are about the same price. Now, which one to go with.

Reactions: Lins

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve had good luck with Spectra. One in my 3rd gen, one in my grand Cherokee, and one in our 06 GTO.
Thanks for the recommendation. I ended up finding a Spectra for about half the cost of the OEM or mishimoto. I am going to go with that and see how it goes.

Thanks again
Jeff

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I have had good results with Spectra also. I have installed three of them on different vehicles.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pep boys (through ebay). They only have 3 left nation wide of that part number. I verified with a local branch, 2 were in Indiana and one in LA. Having it shipped to me.

Reactions: RammerJam

·
Registered
3,124 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I don’t remember anything missing a drain but i rarely use the drain. I pull the lower coolant hose and let the coolant run out. The one and only drain i opened never sealed back up and leaked.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Wow,, for the Wrangler there are many. Looks like M is it.

·
Registered
14,150 Posts
My mishimoto had issues with the threaded holes and the poor quality hardware they include. And, in my experience their customer service SUCKS. When I had my problem, I called and left a message and emailed, they finally responded SIX DAYS LATER, by then I had already made stuff work. The cheap hardware they include sucks, but one bolt they shorted me had to be replaced by one from the local hardware store and it screwed in perfectly. One trans cooler line threaded boss had the threads not tapped squarely, but I made that work by using teflon tape and forcing the fitting in straight, and it isn't leaking after my recent 2400 mile trip.
The radiator cools perfectly fine, and you definitely can replace the dual radiator with the single mishimoto, you just have to change the hoses, possibly some of the accessory cooler brackets, but unsure of that since my truck is a single radiator.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My mishimoto had issues with the threaded holes and the poor quality hardware they include. And, in my experience their customer service SUCKS. When I had my problem, I called and left a message and emailed, they finally responded SIX DAYS LATER, by then I had already made stuff work. The cheap hardware they include sucks, but one bolt they shorted me had to be replaced by one from the local hardware store and it screwed in perfectly. One trans cooler line threaded boss had the threads not tapped squarely, but I made that work by using teflon tape and forcing the fitting in straight, and it isn't leaking after my recent 2400 mile trip.
The radiator cools perfectly fine, and you definitely can replace the dual radiator with the single mishimoto, you just have to change the hoses, possibly some of the accessory cooler brackets, but unsure of that since my truck is a single radiator.

Do all of the CTD have dual radiators? I don't see it on mine but I don't look at something if it ain't broke.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts