Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 98.5 back from a performance shop. Had FP, boost, and pyro gauges done, brakes, alignment, etc. The fuel gauge isn't working. It always shows full, except when I fill it, then it reads empty for while until it drifts back up to full.

The owner of the shop said the sender unit is OK, it's a shorted out instrument cluster. He said I'd need a whole new panel, and suggested I check out wreckers. Now he wasn't trying to sell me anything, so I guess I should believe him. But a whole new instrument panel?!!

Has anyone heard of this? Has anyone had to change their instrument panel? Are there any other cheaper/less intrusive remedies?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Or has no one had this problem:CRY:

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Sounds like the sending unit to me? The little resistor inside the unit may be bad. You could pull the sending unit out and do a ohms resistance check on it to rule that out.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I'm not sure if the cluster test will work on your year but you could try it...

Cluster Testing

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cluster test worked

Thanks for the tip! The cluster test worked. No codes appeared. The 4wd light did not turn on though, but the fuel gauge needle moved with the others, though not as far. It only moved to about 1/4 scale, vs the rest of the needles pointing to ~3/4 scale. Are they all supposed to move exactly the same amount?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Thanks for the tip! The cluster test worked. No codes appeared. The 4wd light did not turn on though, but the fuel gauge needle moved with the others, though not as far. It only moved to about 1/4 scale, vs the rest of the needles pointing to ~3/4 scale. Are they all supposed to move exactly the same amount?
The empty and full position I'd worry about... So if it didn't reach the full mark then I would say the gauge is truely bad...

I can't remember but its like Empty, 1/4, then Full... I'll check later on...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I'd give you guys an update. I took the truck to the local Dodge dealer, and didn't say anything about having the vehicle somewhere else. I just told them to fix it so the fuel gauge works. Lo and behold: new fuel sender unit and it works fine.

The previous shop does excellent chassis work, but I guess I'll have to leave electrical stuff to the dealer.

Thanks everyone for all your help!:beer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts