Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to search the forum and I guess i am not to good at searching so I apologize if this has been addressed. My AC is really old but it was working not great but working. My AC clutch went I didn't realize what was going on so i drove a ways thinking someone was burning rubber or something and didn't see smoke until i got home. I want to replace the compressor and everything but before I ordered the parts I pulled the electrical connector to the compressor/clutch and checked it with a meter thinking I would see 12 volts but didn't read anything. I thought maybe my Freon was low so i tried to add some just to see if i could get 12 volts on the plug to the compressor but it wouldn't accept any Freon like it was clogged up. I guess my question is did the clutch burn up on it's own or did crud in the system/compressor cause the clutch to burn up or did some electrical stuff finally die on my AC? It was cooling and the compressor kicking on before the clutch burnt up. Anyway it will be 500.00 or so for parts and my wrench skills are so so I was just trying to get on the right track to fixing it here, my old hound dog loves to ride and she's too old now to ride without AC. Anyway thanks for any help I hope I made sense.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Re 12 volts for the compressor, the engine needs to be running to test that.

Re the compressor, is the compressor locked up or is the clutch smoked?

On some vehicles you can replace the clutch assembly without removing the compressor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clutch is smoked but you can turn the compressor with your hand. I tested for 12 volts with it running. I appreciate any help. Do clutches normally look like they are almost on fire when they go? It was smoking pretty good. Thx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts