Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night I was racing another truck and something blew on my truck around a 100 mph. So I pulled over and the truck would not move and there was fluid coming out everywhere from the bottom of the transmission , so I new something was wrong with the transmission. Well yesterday I pulled the transmission and found out that I twisted the flexplate into. I also thought the input shaft was broke from all the fluid that was leaking out that night but it wasn't. Later found out that all the fluid that was leaking out was radiator coolant. The guy i raced said that it blew all over his winshield.

questions: do ya'll think I may have messed up more in my transmission than just a flexplate. and second where the heck did I loose all the coolant from, did I screw my motor up to.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Common problem with the factory flexplates. Are you sure you lost radiator coolant? Did you check the level? If yes check the core plug on the backside of the block, just above the trans....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the radiator is completely empty. Do I have to take the trans adapter plate off the back of the engine to see the core plug

·
Registered
361 Posts
wow thats crazy!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Simply amazing how much torque these engines develop. I've seen "blown" transmissions from my muscle car days, but nothing like this!

But that Flex plate looks really thin...or is it just the camera angle?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Suncoast fabs a nice double laminated Flexplate that works very well and lots have switched to it, several with big power have it and no further issues.....

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
It's more than likely been cracked for a while. Your not going to gut the flexplate like that running 100. That "wild" torque management of the Smarty will definetly break parts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
should i go with a billet or laminated flexplate

·
Registered
379 Posts
You already have a Suncoast Converter- match it up with their flexplate- Like I said many have swapped to it with NO Issues.....

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,023 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Common problem with the factory flexplates. Are you sure you lost radiator coolant? Did you check the level? If yes check the core plug on the backside of the block, just above the trans....
Might have also blown the HG.

·
Registered
963 Posts
There is core plug at the back of the block. Put in coolant with the proper antifreeze and put it under pressure, 5 lbs and inspect it for 20 min then 10 and inspect it 15 and max 20. do not take it up to max right away as you can temporarily seal of the leak, and inspect the back of the block, and the head gasket at the back, you may have to leave it for a while without being able to run it. Wash it off let it dry then put pressure on it with paper under it. That is if you cannot find it right away. PLAY SAFE! On the flex plate you should be able to tell if it had previos crack as that section will be polished and the final break will not be.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to my truck. Only I was cruising down the highway going 60mph when my carnage happend. I was in a hurry and replaced it with the factory flex plate. So far 30,000 miles later no problems. I have been a lot harder on this flex plate and it is still holding up. I wonder for how much longer :w:.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Poured water back in the radiator and it started gushing out the back of the motor. Got under the truck to see were it was leaking and it looks like I blew out about a 2" freeze plug from the back of the head. What would have caused the freeze plug to come out like that, and how can I stop it from happening again?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts