Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 6 speed (stock) with 190,000 and some change. anyway I was just curious on whats a good way to test your clutch to see if it is slipping or slips at all? my clutch pedal is pretty stiff and my truck doesnt shutter during acceleration or anything i was just curious to see how you check for clutch slipage.....

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Put it in a tall gear (5th is good as it's direct drive) and floor it. If your RPM goes up faster than your truck accelerates, you have a problem. A stiff clutch is often caused by a dry throwout bearing. The throwout bearing rides on a sleeve that is supposed to get fairly well greased. This is a VERY COMMON error when installing a new clutch.

I have hear of pilot bearings being too small on these trucks, but that would cause stiff shifts not stiff pedal.

·
Registered
228 Posts
when you punch it in a high gear it will rev fast and when you let off it will drop fast but then level out and slow down with the speed of the truck
wes

·
Registered
2012 3500 CCLB dually 4x4 auto Mini Maxx w/Anarchy Tunes studs 35's 5" exhaust S&B intake
895 Posts
There is nothing like a slipping clutch. It feels like the tires breaking loose on ice at speeds they shouldn't. Like 70 mph passing and the engine just revs without gaining speed.

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
There is nothing like a slipping clutch. It feels like the tires breaking loose on ice at speeds they shouldn't. Like 70 mph passing and the engine just revs without gaining speed.
pretty much exactly like that!!!:peelout minus the little tire marks!!:lol3:

·
Registered
96 Posts
My Clutch Pedal Is Stiff And I Put A Clutch Master In A Week An Half Ago.but I Drove This Durmax At Work And It's Stock With A South Bend Clutch And The Pedal Was So Light I Had A Hard Not Dumping The Clutch.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Usually when a clutch is worn out, you have to let the pedal all the way out before the truck moves, but if it's out you will know soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts