Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive built an intake for it and when i was taking off the orginal tubing the turbo appeared to have alot of grime or soot in it and wondering how bad that is on a truck with 150k on it?

also was wondering what the biggest single turbo back exhaust should be?

any suggestions on what 50hp injectors and what programmer or chip to use?

also ive been reading about the fuel pump and was wondering when they should be rebuilt?

im a new guy to the 5.9 cummins and would apperciate any help :confused:

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Mine is grimey and dirty on the intake side becuase it has been sucking the oil out of the K&N filter. About the best PROGRAMMER is the smarty and I love my edge drag comp. Just about any EDM'd injector is good. Dont know if you are talking about the lift pump or the injection pump. You really need to get some gauges ESPECIALLY a fuel pressure gauge. You do not want to see anything below 10 PSI at any time with the truck Idling or at WOT. Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Brandon

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Oh and welcome to Cummins Forum. THere is a lot of information on here so enjoy. :thumbsup: The stock lift pumps on these trucks are prone to going bad so I recommend upgrading to an Air Dog of a Fass fuel pump in order to keep that VP44 ticking.

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
Welcome to the CF David. The turbo shouldnt be dirty or grimey. If your exhaust is factory its 3in, you can get 4 or 5. Take a look here Rollin Smoke Diesel. RSD Performance Exhaust Systems for some 4 or 5 in for the best prices around. Give Welcome to Farmboys Diesel a call for some injectors and they also have good prices on exhaust and boxes and programmers. There are tones of possibilities on boxes or programmers, alot of people like the quadzilla adrenaline/pulse, edge juice/attitude or edge comp. Smarty is good for power down low but is only 65hp so most people would want to stack it with a box for more power. You need to check codes to see if you need a injector pump and/or lift pump. Most likely the lift pump will be insufficient so like said above get a Fass or Airdog instead of the POS factory unit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Welcome!

First get gauges. YOu need to know your fuel pressure first off. If its low it will kill your injection pump ($1200ish). i went w/ the Airdog 150 but many go w/ the AD100 or FASS.

I have a 4" exhaust and love it, other's have 5" and love it. Just depends on the sound you want and your future HP goals I guess.

Can't advise you on the rest but there is a seach button. There is more info on all of your questions in past forums than you could EVER read. Most of what you'll find is personal preference, all of the boxes stated above are great (provided you have the tranny/ fuel to support them) so you'd be happy w/ any of them.

You might want to wave goodbye to your savings now cuz once the torque bug bites you you'll be livin in the poor house w/ the rest of us addicts! :headbang:

·
Registered
502 Posts
4" exhaust is a nice upgrade and can handle around 500hp. 5" will give you a deeper sound and can handle well over 500hp, but might be a tight fit and you could lose a little bottom end. I run 4" from the turbo back to just behind the drivers seat, then kick it up to 5" from there. Replacing the lift pump with a FASS or Airdog should be first on your list of mods. You'll also need gauges, but some programmers like the Edge Juice have gauge packages built in.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay thanks for the help guys! my pump hasnt gone bad or anything i was just curious if it needs to be replaced. But, how much would a fass or airdog cost?

and would the soot in the turbo possibly come from the old stock air box k&n filter? and mot the diesel bug got me along time ago when i leasted a 6.7 cummins...sadly is was stock but still had a lil pull to it! lol

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
the stuff in your turbo is from over oiling your filter. prob a k&n? if it is get rid of it and go with something else. btw welcome to the forum!

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
Ya, I would rather have a stock airfilter than a k&n, get rid of it. If your IP isnt bad dont get a new one untill you need it. If the Airdogs are still on sale you can get 1 for $499.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got rid of the stock airbox and got a cold air system im not sure if the previous filtered was oiled or not lol i just got rid of it the 2nd day of having the truck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im loking into an air dog now, Found the 150 for 499.99 at Xterme Diesel Performance. Looks like a bullet proof system.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That's the one I went with. Great system but do some research on the draw straw before you install it. Generally any of the 150gph pumps need upgraded lines (I went to 1/2") which means there are issues with running out of fuel at 1/4 of a tank. I'll fix it eventually, but for now i'm just not getting in a situation where I gotta run her dry.

I think K&N's are fine if you oil em properly, just most people dont and it gives em a bad name. I've had em on everything from sports cars, daily drivers, all kinds of toys and never seen a problem. :confused:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how exactly do i know if my pumps going bad?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
If you either have the death codes, or if you check your Fuel Pressure and it's less than 5 lbs. The 1st thing you need is guages AND a FASS or AIR DOG lift pump system.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The air dog will outlast the truck, it comes with a lifetime warranty. Definatly need gauges next, then exhaust, then a programmer, then a bigger turbo, then bigger injectors, then twins and the cycle never ends.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
pull the codes. if an 01 or 02 you can do the key on key off 3 times and codes are displayed in the odo window, and get a fuel pressure gauge on your truck as the LP(lift pump) fail as fast as you can instal one, FASS or Airdog are the better choices as they offer air seperation from the fuel and a lifetime warranty, there are other cheaper options that might work for you, depending on your wallet and how you use your truck,
you need to spend a couple hours searching thru threads, it wont take long to get up to speed, search topic like this:

VP44 (injection Pump)
Lift pumps (carter/FASS/Airdog/ holley)
Track bar
Death wobble
Dead pedal (code 0216)
fuel pressure gauge
How to bleed fuel system
puke bottle/ plugged rad

that should keep you busy reading for a while, oh and if I did not mention it, get a fuel pressure gauge installed PDQ(pretty darn quick)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts