Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500. I was wondering how hard it would be to find a wrecked dodge 12valve cummins 4x4 to convert it. Do you think it would be stupid to convert it? Also how hard & expensive would it be?

·
Registered
450 Posts
You need to make some motor mounts a new tranny, trans case, hook up the guages, put another battery in beef up the front suspension and front end, the weight of the engine will make you go through bearings and ball joints like none other, if you want to do it i'm all for it but its better to just have gone and bought a 2500 with the CTD in it just my .02

·
Registered
42 Posts
A 4bt Cummins would be just about the right weight

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
x2 on that 4bt!

·
Registered
143 Posts
go to 4btswaps.com. There is a bunch of data there. People are putting these in everything. 4 door Dakotas and Durangos.

I would love to find a 2000 or 2001 gmc/chevy 1500 4x4 with a blown engine to put a 4bt in.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much would the 4bt cost? Would I have enough power to tow trailers? What do you use for the tranny?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I would love to buy a 2500 12 valve. They are just to much money for me right now. I got my ram with a 5" lift kit and 35" tires for a lot less than a 2500.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I would love to buy a 2500 12 valve. They are just to much money for me right now. I got my ram with a 5" lift kit and 35" tires for a lot less than a Dodge 2500.

·
SC Chapter President
1,289 Posts
You put a 6bt in that thing, and you'll twist the crap out of the frame! x3 on the 4bt!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
You can use any tranny with it. A good 700r4 is popular. The NV 4500 is a good choice. If you have a 4x4 put an np205 on it and twin stick it. How big a trailer to you want to pull? These can make some pretty good power and get you 25 mpg. Look on ebay and craigslist. There is a guy in Houston on craigslist with a couple. I emailed him last week looking for an engine for Dad. He wanted 2K for each.

Just looked on ebay and there is a complete van for 1800 and an engine with th400 for 2450.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Depends what you want to do, if your looking to tow big trailers and need the power of the 6bt you are better off buying a 2500 with the cummins!

If you are looking for the mileage then a 4bt would be great. Its still going to be a little on the heavy side as they weigh in around the 800lb range but still a couple hundred pounds lighter than the 6bt.

Cummins builds them now with the rotary pumps, they are advertised 125hp @ 2100/ 373ft/lb @ 1300rpm

We run a bunch of 4BTs with the inline p3000 pumps rated for 130hp @ 2500/ 350 @1500

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
jsut buy a wrecked or roll-over 12v truck and more or less swap your trucks body onto it...just make sure the frame is str8

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah, im looking to do this as well, everyones saying the 4bt is perfect, but i want to know exactly what im looking for to start doing this. like do i need a new fuel pump? the motor and trans are just plugnplay?

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
depending on the 4b you go with it would be nearly plug and play if you were to use the trans/engine harness and PCM from a donor cummins truck.

With a p-pumped 4b, your literally plug and play, right down to using the accessories from the 6b (alt, ac pump, power steering, ect)

As for the fuel pump, the gasser uses an in-tank electric. the cummins uses a block mounted mechanical pump. you can gut the factory sending unit and make it just a pick up tube, or you can swap in one from a diesel if you can get your hands on one.

Its all the little stuff like this that makes it MUCH easier to have a donor truck to rob the parts from! even if it is a rolled truck with a blown engine!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts