Cummins Diesel Forum banner

I Have Sinned

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  RammerJam 
#1 ·
And I have absolutely no intention of repenting. :) Ever

AutoCal, EFI Live, one of them. Or both. Don't know, don't care. No box, single tune. He said it was 60 horse towing tune. whatev

EGR deleted and gone. 5" Turbo-Back stainless Flo Pro with muffler. Don't like the tailpipe sticking out, though. Looks like butt. Thinking about a tip but the tailpipe already sticks out far enough. I would think I could slide the Exhaust Tip on quite a ways. Looking at one from Sinister. Don't need to be taking out bicyclists in our 'hood.

He told me to drive it easy for a while. A week or so. No exhaust brake. Don't get on it. Stop and go is more gooder, he said.

The transmission seems to stumble in the lower gears and the lockup function seems uncertain of itself.

I pulled into some traffic, taking it easy, and I wasn't sure but I though I might have been turning the tires. Or the trans was stumbling. Again.... whatever.

It's a little loud at first. The Dear Wife thinks she can smell diesel exhaust. I think so, too. But I like the smell of diesel exhaust. I used to stand behind buses in the City because I liked it so much. The DW? Not so much. But that's why she's got her own car.

Then my buddy (more like a good, solid acquaintance), who did all the work, called me up last night and told me drive the snot out of it. He's the one that did all the work, so....... I don't know. I think he was drinking. A mecahnic on a Friday evening at 8:00PM? Never heard of such a thing.

So anyway, I like it. It is bada$$. It has a lot more power. A lot. I'm babying it right now like I was told but I can tell -- It's bad to the bone.

But on the highway? Purrs like a kitten. No louder than bone stock. Only in the lower gears when starting out

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
68rfe? Who’s tune?

The 68rfe has a 30-50 mile learning. Drive up and down no more than 30% throttle. No hwy driving or sustained speeds. Get it to shift as much as possible. Then enjoy the power.
I did drive it on the Interstate for about 7 or 8 miles on the way home today. But that was between long-ish drives in stop and go traffic. Hope that doesn't hurt anything.

Oh man, it's got a big set now. I'm not even trying. Gotta get out of it.

I'm trying to do stop and go but sometimes... It was 100 degrees yesterday. Literally. And 100 degress in the humidity of South Florida is no fun. Plus, it was almost Friday evening rush hour, 4:30PM. So I wanted to get off the road.

Not counting the freeway drive, I've got about 40 miles of stop and go right now.

Don't wanna go out right now. People are coming over from Miami like crazy and they can NOT drive. Had a car pull right out in front of me..... Twice today.

Maybe tomorrow or the next day when they all go back. We can't catch a break down here.

Hope they don't lose power over there. Otherwise, they'll stay here

#5 ·
I drove 15 miles home last night; mostly stop and go with some 50MPH stints in between. Went for a ride this morning and went 18 miles before I got on the freeway for the shot home. The another 6 miles stop and go home.

#7 ·
And when I picked it up, the guys had burned through almost a quarter tank of fuel so I'm assuming they took it around the block a time or two. Hope they weren't letting it idle. I doubt it. They're pretty professional.

#9 ·
Cut the exhaust back a few inches and put a tip on, it’ll look a lot better then being able to see the exhaust pipe inside the tip.

Reactions: RamHunter18
#12 · (Edited)
Thought about doing that but not sure if I want to tackle that much stainless steel pipe with a hacksaw ;)

It's large :(

How about painting the inside of the new tip and the outside of existing exhaust pipe black? Or, much more likely to happen, just the outside of the exhaust pipe??

If it was recessed a couple inches, I don't think anybody would pay any attention to it.

I'm just wondering if I can extend the tip put by 2 inches. Might be impractical. Have to wait and see.

#16 ·
There is definitely no more dead pedal. I got use to driving around avoiding confusing the truck pulling out into traffic. You guys know what i am talking about. Pushing the throttle seconds before you actually need to move out. Then easing into it as hard and as fast as the computer would let you but not too far.
The edge between some decent acceleration and a pedal on the floor and a truck sitting there. Then at the last moment before you bail on the merge attempt it goes making you look like a fool to everyone in the intersection wondering why you didn’t take off when the window of opportunity was ideal.
The computer knew you were calling for power then it calculates the fuel needed to spin the turbo but not so much fuel it smokes into the DPF, makes a quick call to the EPA. POWER DENIED. You then grabbed the wheel and stick your head between your legs to kiss your a$$ goodbye as an 18 wheeler barrels toward you at 75 MPH.
Now when you call for power you get it RIGHT NOW. The truck will light up all four rear tires now and gets some into traffic.
There is no way i will have another DPF truck. Ever. Never knew what was missed. These trucks are beasts. And the exhaust sounds. Wow.
But, it voided a warranty LOL. So i cant get work done at the place that cant do oil changes right and lies about everything. No loss there. Guess FCA wont be able to find anything to weld on now.

#18 ·
Torque management is gone along with anything that could limp the truck. Depends on your tuner though. Also, there is no speed limiter anymore. All limiters are removed. For this reason i let the truck warm up fully before giving it too much pedal since fuel backdown is gone. But, if i remember correctly nobody gets full power in the first three gears stock. Unless your tuner disables that. Mine is gone and will stripe the road with all four Cooper maxx st tires. Also, tuning throws more fuel at the truck at takeoff and gets rid of dead pedal. It is much safer when the truck responds RIGHT NOW instead of calculating the most environmental way to leave a stop and pull out onto the highway where everyone is already doing 85. Your safety is not the first priority with stock tuning. Torque management and emission tuning is criminal and dangerous. Especially when it is so unpredictable. You have to ride the razors edge, during emergency maneuvers or takeoffs, and if you go too far the truck is sitting there half way into an intersection or not responding to the throttle when you need all the acceleration you can get. Keeping the dpf from loading up too quickly is the stock goal even if you get killed on the factory tune.
I never knew how much i hated the burning piss smell. With it gone the kids don’t get sick around the truck anymore. It was an asthma trigger for two of my kids. I use to have to take puke cans with me incase a regeneration started and the wind was blowing the wrong way if the kids were with me. Also, i would need their nebulizers. The tuning has eliminated that mess completely. I can actually use the truck more with the family. Thats the best win i could have asked for.
I cant even make the truck smoke on purpose with the +75 tow tune. There is a slight barely imperceptible puff when i get into the most ideal smoke situations. Even then it clears right up. There is no way it will draw attention to the truck. There is zero soot on my bumper or dually flare. Even with a small muffler there is no drone. It is as quiet on the highway as before. Honestly i wish i could hear it more while driving. The idle rumble is amazing though.
I am about to return to stock for the inspection then i will remove the grid heater plate, as of now it is unplugged, get a new intake horn in preparation for water meth to help clean up the residual egr soot. And, then i swap the turbo and add a steed speed manifold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.