Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lil backround.. i was just onmy way home from work 27 mile commute and prolly 20 miles into it on the highway my truck just flattened out... NO POWER like it was dead or dieing, perhaps de fueling. al guages looked good at that time nothing out of the ordanary boost 10lbs, pyro 750, trans 150, fuel press 9psi, speed 70mph, 2100 rpm smarty was on setting 3, truck has 103600 miles on it and i replaced the lift pump when i bought the truck (under warrentee).........im not shure:HELP PLEASE

the codes i retrieved are as follows
i used my smarty to ge the codes

PO216: Fuel injection pump timing failure
PO602: Fueling callibration error normal with non stock software
P1693: DTC detected in companion JTEC module

give me all your information and help please!!! suggestions and all i need this truck to get to work....

please!!!
THANKS!!!

·
Go for Broke
6,699 Posts
sorry to say but....looks like you need a VP44 :thud:

0216 is not a good one

·
SuperDuperMod
2,816 Posts
Definitley looks bad. injection pump finally went poo.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
so why does it still run? i just drained my fuel filter/ water separator and got a few little bubbles of water... does that have anything to do with it.... should i change my filter? i just did it 2 oil changes ago its is due for this oil change

so i should not drive it?

·
Boiler up!
2,450 Posts
mine sputtered b4 it went out. missing like crazy....new vp44 man. they r bout 1000 bucks

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
really wow i cant believe this... is their anything else i can test? at all? please help!
also so i really should not drive it right?

·
Go for Broke
6,699 Posts
your getting a "dead peddle' common when the VP is on it's way out

sorry to say but a new in in order :thud:

·
Registered
182 Posts
so why does it still run? i just drained my fuel filter/ water separator and got a few little bubbles of water... does that have anything to do with it.... should i change my filter? i just did it 2 oil changes ago its is due for this oil change

so i should not drive it?
i had the same problem, the deadly 216 hit my truck and yes it is the ip. when this code appears i have been told the truck will still run because its a problem with the electronics on the pump. but it will need to be replaced right now its a ticking time bomb and itd only a matter of time before it fails. another thing to look for is when its cold rev it up and look at what color your blowin. white=bad. Any more questions let me know.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 I am sure you guys are right uv had experience but how can i be sure? is there any tests i can perform? to make sure it really is bad... i cleared the codes and put the smarty back to stock and started the truck ( no codes) also will this deadly 216 set the check engine light? becasue it did not?

2 also what do i have for options, should i go a stock replacement or is there somthin better out there?

thanks

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
drive it till it dies then you will know even more:thumbsup

·
Not like the others......
4,190 Posts
When my VP went bad, I got dead pedal 3-4 times before it threw a CEL.
Sorry, but it sounds like ur VP is dead. I would just go with a stock reman unit.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Definitly sounds like youre VP man :thud: Sorry to hear :$: Good luck bud

·
Registered
370 Posts
you have my sympathies on the recent loss of your vp44...
yes it will probly run and MIGHT get you where you're going, but it just a matter of time before it goes away.
i just went thru this less than a month ago. no CEL, but that dead pedal and a 0216 code. buy a quality reman pump, upgrade your lift pump (if you havent already) and drive happy!!!

·
Boiler up!
2,450 Posts
get a hotrod vp44 or some other high performance one. wish i had they r like 500 bucks more tho.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Yes, the truck will still run and run just fine even with the 0216... like someone else said, that code is from the electronics on the pump and not from something mechanical. I drove(knowingly) with a P0216 for 13 months and then like a light switch, my truck barely started, huffed and puffed white smoke and wouldn't idle one May morning. I had literally driven the truck 150miles the day before... Mine never triggered a CEL even when it finally officially was dead.

You'll probably find that the warmer it gets outside, the worse the symptoms will become and that as yours engine heats up the dead pedal will become more frequent. This has been attributed to poor quality of solder on the circuit board...

Remanufactured pumps from reputable Bosch builders will have updated circuit boards but even reman pumps are subject to failure....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I to have P1693 only, truck just wouldn't start minuts after turning it off, found hole woren in steel line along tank and repaired. installed new VP44, new lift pump, disconected juice, still wont start, I could use help?????

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I to have P1693 only, truck just wouldn't start minuts after turning it off, found hole woren in steel line along tank and repaired. installed new VP44, new lift pump, disconected juice, still wont start, I could use help?????
P1693 means there is more error code present on either PCM and/or ECM...

Try repriming the fuel system..
Reprime Fuel System

And make sure you got good fuel pressure...

·
Registered
6 Posts
was told to bleed the pump at an injector? What is a over flow valve?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
was told to bleed the pump at an injector? What is a over flow valve?
Here you go...

Reprime the fuel system instructions...
Reprime Fuel System

#4 in the pic above...

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - OVERFLOW VALVE
Fuel volume from the fuel transfer (lift) pump will
always provide more fuel than the fuel injection
pump requires. The overflow valve (a check valve) is
used to route excess fuel through the fuel return line
and back to the fuel tank. Approximately 70% of supplied
fuel is returned to the fuel tank. The valve is
located on the side of the injection pump (Fig. 59). It
is also used to connect the fuel return line (banjo fitting)
to the fuel injection pump. The valve opens at
approximately 97 kPa (14 psi). If the check valve
within the assembly is sticking, low engine power or
hard starting may result.
If a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been stored
for “decreased engine performance due to high injection
pump fuel temperature”, the overflow valve may
be stuck in closed position.
A rubber tipped blow gun with regulated air line
pressure is needed for this test.
(1) Clean area around overflow valve and fuel
return line at injection pump before removal.
(2) Remove valve from pump and banjo fitting.
(3) Discard old sealing gaskets.
(4) Set regulated air pressure to approximately 97
kPa (14–16 psi).
(5) Using blow gun, apply pressure to overflow
valve inlet end (end that goes into injection pump).
(6) Internal check valve should release, and air
should pass through valve at 97 kPa (14–16 psi). If
not, replace valve.
(7) Reduce regulated air pressure to 10 psi and
observe valve. Valve should stay shut. If not, replace
valve.
(8) Install new sealing gaskets to valve.
(9) Install valve through banjo fitting and into
pump.
(10) Tighten to 30 N·m (24 ft. lbs.) torque.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so where should I get my truck repaired, dealer? or lees auto ranch? lees did my lift pump a lil while back. what do tell them i want? obviously a new VP44 but any specifics to make shure i get the right one? a better one? what about a high performance one? those any better?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts